Colin Spencer

Default Variable speed upgrade

I have just upgraded my 4 speed lathe to variable speed. If anyone is
interested the details of how I did it are at
http://www.turnspain.com/lathe_upgrade.htm. If anyone wants any more info
please email me.

--
Regards

Colin

www.turnspain.com

---

Dan Bollinger

I have just upgraded my 4 speed lathe to variable speed. If anyone is
interested the details of how I did it are at
http://www.turnspain.com/lathe_upgrade.htm. If anyone wants any more info
please email me.

--
Regards

Colin

Nice work, Colin. What size is the enclosure on the wall? The reason I ask
is because I put my VFD external, but it gathers dust. I'm considering
putting it inside an enclosure, but I'm worried about overheating. See:
http://www.claycritters.com/lathe/

Adding a cutoff switch will be a good idea. Did you also run a separate
ground line, too?

I programmed my Hitachi for 'soft start' and 'soft stop'. And, I added the
'jog' feature and reverse. To each their own. I wish VFDs came with remote
displays that could be programmed to show the spindle rpm! Dan

Richard Stapley

Dan I recently converted my Lathe to Variable Speed via an Inverter and I
noticed from the Manual that my particular Inverter needed to be in Free Air
but also in a Dust Free Area as well.

I overcame this by putting it in an Enclosure mounted on the Wall of my
Workshop and Ventilated it with a Small Cubicle Ventilation Fan drawing
clean air from the Outside and not from the Workshop.

Details can be found on my Web Site at http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk in the
hints and tips section.

Richard

newszf3d.74778$D%.26353@attbi_s51...