Dave Balderstone

Default Christmas clock

I can't find the post or article that inspired this design, so it was
yours please let me know!

This clock is off to Mom for Christmas. Green ash, from a tree I took
out of the back yard a couple of years ago.

http://www.balderstone.ca/TDclock1.jpg
http://www.balderstone.ca/TDclock2.jpg

About 5" long.

djb
Lobby Dosser

Dave Balderstone wrote:

I can't find the post or article that inspired this design, so it was
yours please let me know!

This clock is off to Mom for Christmas. Green ash, from a tree I took
out of the back yard a couple of years ago.

http://www.balderstone.ca/TDclock1.jpg
http://www.balderstone.ca/TDclock2.jpg

About 5" long.

djb

NEAT!

Did you turn the opening for the clock, or use a forstner bit? Is there a
flat planed on the bottom?
Dave Balderstone

In article rzowd.5291$N%6.1098@trnddc05, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

Did you turn the opening for the clock, or use a forstner bit? Is there a
flat planed on the bottom?

Yes, I turned the opening with a combination of small bowl gouge,
scraper and bedan at 500 rpm. It was touch and go at times, as the ash
was very dry. I had to stop several times after small catches and
reseat the piece in the chuck.

Once I had that turned, I chucked inside the opening and shaped the
teardrop.

For the bottom flat I used my stationary belt sander.

It's finished with tung oil and paste wax.

If I had to do it again (and wasn't under the time pressure of
Christmas shipping across the continent) I'd buy the proper sized
forstener bit and drill the blank before it got near the lathe. As it
"turned out" I had the piece between centers, chucked with a tenon,
screwed to a face plate, AND chucked inside the hole for the clock by
the time I was done.

djb
Harry B. Pye

I can't find the post or article that inspired this design, so it was
yours please let me know!

I'm not sure but I think there was a design similar to this in Woodturning
Design magazine. Probably in the first or second issue.

Lobby Dosser

Dave Balderstone wrote:

If I had to do it again (and wasn't under the time pressure of
Christmas shipping across the continent) I'd buy the proper sized
forstener bit and drill the blank before it got near the lathe. As it
"turned out" I had the piece between centers, chucked with a tenon,
screwed to a face plate, AND chucked inside the hole for the clock by
the time I was done.

You missed the jam chuck? )

Dave Balderstone

In article Howwd.7708$E_6.404@trnddc04, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

You missed the jam chuck? )

Dang! And it's too late to throw it back on the lathe...
Dave Balderstone

In article ,
Anonymous wrote:

Sheesh ... GMTA!

GMTA?
Nova

Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article ,
Anonymous wrote:

Sheesh ... GMTA!

GMTA?

"Great Minds Think Alike".

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Dave Balderstone

In article , Nova
wrote:

"Great Minds Think Alike".

Ah.

As I said in the original post, I did steal the design just can't
recall from where.