Dave Balderstone

In article rzowd.5291$N%6.1098@trnddc05, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

Did you turn the opening for the clock, or use a forstner bit? Is there a
flat planed on the bottom?

Yes, I turned the opening with a combination of small bowl gouge,
scraper and bedan at 500 rpm. It was touch and go at times, as the ash
was very dry. I had to stop several times after small catches and
reseat the piece in the chuck.

Once I had that turned, I chucked inside the opening and shaped the
teardrop.

For the bottom flat I used my stationary belt sander.

It's finished with tung oil and paste wax.

If I had to do it again (and wasn't under the time pressure of
Christmas shipping across the continent) I'd buy the proper sized
forstener bit and drill the blank before it got near the lathe. As it
"turned out" I had the piece between centers, chucked with a tenon,
screwed to a face plate, AND chucked inside the hole for the clock by
the time I was done.

djb