Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Leo Van Der Loo

Default Drill hole size for hanger bolt?

Hi Bart

Bart Can you explain that in a different way, do you gave to tap thread?
, or what, I'm sure You know what the heel of the neck is , but I don't G
If you have to cut tread, you need a 13/64" drill to tap 1/4" with 20
threads per inch, if you want to have the bold slide in 17/64 would do
or else a 6.5 mm if you happen to have metric bits

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Bart V wrote:

I need to drill a couple of holes to screw a 1/4" hanger bolt into the
heel of the neck (jatoba) so I can bolt it onto the pot/rim (also
jatoba) I turned on the lathe. I'm wondering what size drill bit to
use, something around 7/16" fit the bill, or that too big? I'm only
getting one shot at it else the neck for the banjo I'm making is toast
and I don't wanna screw it up at the last minute...
Also wondering if, before screwing in the hanger bolt, soaking the
drilled holes with oil would make the wood stronger?
Graciously looking forward to a hint or two,
Bart.
-
Check my most up to date email address at:
www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
www.haruteq.com

**may your moments of need be met by moments of compassion**