Bart V

You could take a piece of scrap wood and drill a 9/32" hole and test the
bolt in the hole. Alternatively you could use a 5/16" drill and this would
be more that sufficient

I didn't know what a hanger bolt was until I saw one either Ok,
it's a two-sided fastener - one side is a regular woodscrew, the other
side is a bolt.
The end I'm talking about is the woodscrew part, it's 1/4" alright so
I need to drill a hole that is smaller than 1/4" else the screw
threads cannot bite into the wood as I'm screwing it in. So I guess my
question is, how much smaller? My concern of course, too small and the
wood of the neck will split, or too big and the screw won't hold. Oh
and to be sure, the [banjo] strings will put a ridiculous amount of
tension this connection/joint that's why I was wondering about the
soaking in oil thing.
On a personal note, being able to someday make my own banjo is what I
got my lathe for in the first place. Well, that and also to get rid of
the pile of wood in the basement I'd been stashing cause them pieces
were just too pretty for the fireplace. It's really unbelievable the
kinda stuff you can score at a pallet factory's "free firewood"
dumpster... My wife is happy that the wood stash in the basement is
getting smaller although the mantle is starting to buckle trying to
support all them purdy new round thingies
Bart.
P.S. Leo, zou graag eens met je babbelen
-
Check my most up to date email address at:
www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
www.haruteq.com

**may your moments of need be met by moments of compassion**