Eddie Munster

Default Cutting pen blanks?

I gots me this burl thingy I wanner cut up into pen blanks.
My question is, which way?

One way, looks neat, the general grain will be going accross the width
of the pen, rather that the traditional way being sort of up and down
the lenghth.

It is a Myrtle burl, whatever that is. Doesn't feel too hard really.

If I cut it up the more traditional looking way, I don't thing there
will be so much figure showing. But If I cut it up the other way, will
it turn okay?

Any thoughts??

John

robert strudwick

John,
Just an idea, contact www.penturners.org, this is the premium site for
pen turners around the world, (International Association of Pen
turners). Free to join and full of wonderful ideas and problem
resolutions.

If you cut so that the grain is across the width, it will make the pen
weaker and maybe cause problems when shaping, cut the traditional way
with coves and beading which will give character.

Bob `S`
(Member)

In message , Eddie Munster
writes

--
Robert Strudwick
Eddie Munster

I didn't think of that, making it weaker that is. That endgrain is so
lively though, even now with only a bandsawn finish. Good thing have a
really big chunk.

John

robert strudwick wrote:
John,
Just an idea, contact www.penturners.org, this is the premium site for
pen turners around the world, (International Association of Pen
turners). Free to join and full of wonderful ideas and problem resolutions.

If you cut so that the grain is across the width, it will make the pen
weaker and maybe cause problems when shaping, cut the traditional way
with coves and beading which will give character.

res055a5

you are lucky to have acquired some myrtle wood burl...it grows
in oregon and is very pretty. with burl, i wouldn't think it would
matter which way you cut it because the direction changes so often?
rich

"Eddie Munster" wrote in message
I gots me this burl thingy I wanner cut up into pen blanks.
My question is, which way?

One way, looks neat, the general grain will be going accross the width
of the pen, rather that the traditional way being sort of up and down
the lenghth.

It is a Myrtle burl, whatever that is. Doesn't feel too hard really.

If I cut it up the more traditional looking way, I don't thing there
will be so much figure showing. But If I cut it up the other way, will
it turn okay?

Any thoughts??

John

Jim Gott

I gots me this burl thingy I wanner cut up into pen blanks.
My question is, which way?

One way, looks neat, the general grain will be going accross the width
of the pen, rather that the traditional way being sort of up and down
the lenghth.

It is a Myrtle burl, whatever that is. Doesn't feel too hard really.

If I cut it up the more traditional looking way, I don't thing there
will be so much figure showing. But If I cut it up the other way, will
it turn okay?

Any thoughts??

John
BRBR

John,

Cut it on the bias (about 30 degrees off the axis) so most of the long grain is
still going down the pen, but the bias cut will show off more of the figure.
Look at any pens in catalogs of dymond wood to see what I mean about direction
of cut.
Also, make sure the blanks are DRY before you make the pens. If they're not dry
they'll surely crack as they do dry later.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA

Eddie Munster

Okay. There is a section I can do that to. Another part where it has no
direction as it is so burly. I hope it is dry enough.

As for it being myrtle, thanks res for letting me know where is is from.
It just looked nice in the woodstore so I though I would try it. It is
really a small bowl blank but I have more interest in pens right now, sooo.

John