robert strudwick

John,
Just an idea, contact www.penturners.org, this is the premium site for
pen turners around the world, (International Association of Pen
turners). Free to join and full of wonderful ideas and problem
resolutions.

If you cut so that the grain is across the width, it will make the pen
weaker and maybe cause problems when shaping, cut the traditional way
with coves and beading which will give character.

Bob `S`
(Member)

In message , Eddie Munster
writes
I gots me this burl thingy I wanner cut up into pen blanks.
My question is, which way?

One way, looks neat, the general grain will be going accross the width
of the pen, rather that the traditional way being sort of up and down
the lenghth.

It is a Myrtle burl, whatever that is. Doesn't feel too hard really.

If I cut it up the more traditional looking way, I don't thing there
will be so much figure showing. But If I cut it up the other way, will
it turn okay?

Any thoughts??

John

--