George

Default Spending a 100 hours

Some, perhaps regard the practice of segmented turning as more a project in
architecture than turning. With so much turning wood available on the
woodpile, I haven't been tempted to go to my lumber stack in years.

Still it's the journey, not the destination. Most of us sell our results
for cash and treasure the time at the lathe.

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Why would a novice wish to spend a 100 hours setting up and cutting wood
seqments! Why the exercise at all.Are we trying to keep woodturning a
mystery!

Keith Young

Ray Sandusky

In my opinion, if you have 100 hours at the lathe, then you should use that
time to become proficient at using your head, eyes, hands and tools. Too
many turners waste their time just gnawing away at a chunk of wood with no
direction, no plan and no attention to the skill they are applying to the
task. They just dive in!

I look at it this way. In the years past, people used to apprentice with a
master for years and years before they were allowed to put their names on
the finished product or even do it themselves. This was a way to ensure
that the person learned how to think about the things they were doing. The
apprentice was basically "going to school" instead of work. In many forms
of craft, the practice is still being used - glass blowing, porceline
pottery, finish carpentry and on and on.

I recently read a book where there was a specific apprenticship program
outlined with a set of tasks to be mastered - not just completed but
mastered. I think there should be a similar set of tasks set up for people
who want to learn to become a woodturner.

Maybe then our works will be more highly prized and valued across the art
world!

Ray

Ray Sandusky

Keith

Oh, I understand the art/craft argument - my comment was akin to the
difference between a guitar player and a guitarist - there is a difference.
It takes tremendous study and practice to become a guitarist.

My comment was meant to be constructive and insightful - if one can apply
themselves to learning, focusing, planning and executing instead of muddling
and fumbling along then that will make a diference in how the person
arrives - either a wow or a dud. There is a fine line between the two -
like the fine line between a groove and a rut.

It all has to do with the way one thinks and executes while standing at the
lathe.

Ray

George

After my years spent trying to troubleshoot Motorola transmitters and
control systems using their manuals, I understand fully.

"Keith Young" wrote in message
.. BACKGROUND = I worked as a TV technician and as a technician.
myself and others had difficulty undering the operating manuals written by
the engineers. We used to have to play with the equipment to understand

how
they functioned. Most engineers can,t simplify instructions.

Ken Moon

"George" george@least wrote in message
After my years spent trying to troubleshoot Motorola transmitters and
control systems using their manuals, I understand fully.

=====================
George,
I spent 20+ years working on imported medical equipment (Siemens from
Germany, CGR from France, Benelux from Belgium, and Generay from Italy). I
was confused in several different languages and schematic symbols.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

George

Did they update the manuals and schematics when they changed the equipment?
That lack was a big surprise to me. Guess I was spoiled by posting the
never-ending changes in the military.

Trying to make sense of a Pidgin sprayer manual last evening. As I used to
do some "idiomatic" translation - smooth the English after Russians had done
the words - I realize it's not easy. Wonder why they don't do the second
level, though.

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
ink.net...

"George" george@least wrote in message
After my years spent trying to troubleshoot Motorola transmitters and
control systems using their manuals, I understand fully.

=====================
George,
I spent 20+ years working on imported medical equipment (Siemens from
Germany, CGR from France, Benelux from Belgium, and Generay from Italy).

was confused in several different languages and schematic symbols.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Keith Young

Sorry should have been " We can,t read their minds "

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Ken
If it was only a language problem we could use a good translator. I guess
that all of that analitical education ( excuse spelling ) disables their
ability to look at a operating situation from an operators point of
view.Part of their problem seems to be their assumption that we all
understand what they are thinking. ( we can read their minds.)

My 2 cents worth

Sincerely
Keith

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
ink.net...

"George" george@least wrote in message
After my years spent trying to troubleshoot Motorola transmitters and
control systems using their manuals, I understand fully.

=====================
George,
I spent 20+ years working on imported medical equipment (Siemens from
Germany, CGR from France, Benelux from Belgium, and Generay from Italy).
I was confused in several different languages and schematic symbols.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Ken Moon

"George" george@least wrote in message
Did they update the manuals and schematics when they changed the
equipment?
That lack was a big surprise to me. Guess I was spoiled by posting the
never-ending changes in the military.

Trying to make sense of a Pidgin sprayer manual last evening. As I used
do some "idiomatic" translation - smooth the English after Russians had
done
the words - I realize it's not easy. Wonder why they don't do the second
level, though.

=============================
George,
When a new "family" of equipment came out, they'd send you to class to learn
it, and you could make notes on hard copies of schematics. Updates were sent
out on microfiche. Ever try to work on a piece of equipment with a poorly
lit portable microfiche reader?? The procedures were also a joke. Most were
written in the native language, and translated by language "experts". The
word by word translation some times has no connection with the original
technical meaning. Also, as Keith said, the engineeers who designed the
equipment often were not trained as tech writers, so their procedures often
did not work as written. I don't understand why manufacturers don't realize
the importance of tech writers and how much time can be saved in the
installation and maintenance times when clear instructions are available.

Ken

Alun Saunders

Keith Young wrote:
Sorry should have been " We can,t read their minds "

Or even "We can't read their minds"

How to charge for your work William Woodworking 18 July 13th 04 02:44 AM
OT - Gunner Quote Cliff Huprich Metalworking 183 January 27th 04 09:20 AM
OT- Did the Prez lie about WMD? Gunner Metalworking 127 December 18th 03 01:36 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
HOW DO YOU GUYS FIGURE PROFIT? Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT Woodworking 26 September 29th 03 01:46 AM