George

Default Spending a 100 hours

Some, perhaps regard the practice of segmented turning as more a project in
architecture than turning. With so much turning wood available on the
woodpile, I haven't been tempted to go to my lumber stack in years.

Still it's the journey, not the destination. Most of us sell our results
for cash and treasure the time at the lathe.

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Why would a novice wish to spend a 100 hours setting up and cutting wood
seqments! Why the exercise at all.Are we trying to keep woodturning a
mystery!

Keith Young

Ray Sandusky

In my opinion, if you have 100 hours at the lathe, then you should use that
time to become proficient at using your head, eyes, hands and tools. Too
many turners waste their time just gnawing away at a chunk of wood with no
direction, no plan and no attention to the skill they are applying to the
task. They just dive in!

I look at it this way. In the years past, people used to apprentice with a
master for years and years before they were allowed to put their names on
the finished product or even do it themselves. This was a way to ensure
that the person learned how to think about the things they were doing. The
apprentice was basically "going to school" instead of work. In many forms
of craft, the practice is still being used - glass blowing, porceline
pottery, finish carpentry and on and on.

I recently read a book where there was a specific apprenticship program
outlined with a set of tasks to be mastered - not just completed but
mastered. I think there should be a similar set of tasks set up for people
who want to learn to become a woodturner.

Maybe then our works will be more highly prized and valued across the art
world!

Ray

George

I believe he was referring to time spent assembling a vessel. Can't recall
segmented taking any more time than non to actually turn.

"Ray Sandusky" wrote in message
In my opinion, if you have 100 hours at the lathe, then you should use

that
time to become proficient at using your head, eyes, hands and tools. Too
many turners waste their time just gnawing away at a chunk of wood with no
direction, no plan and no attention to the skill they are applying to the
task. They just dive in!

How to charge for your work William Woodworking 18 July 13th 04 02:44 AM
OT - Gunner Quote Cliff Huprich Metalworking 183 January 27th 04 09:20 AM
OT- Did the Prez lie about WMD? Gunner Metalworking 127 December 18th 03 01:36 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
HOW DO YOU GUYS FIGURE PROFIT? Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT Woodworking 26 September 29th 03 01:46 AM