Alan Van Art

Default Turning Finishes

I don't know if anyone here watches the DIY Network or not, but I've been
following a show on that channel called WoodTurning Techniques. It may be a
bit rudimentary for many of you, but I find it helpful. If you're interested
it's hosted by Dave Hout. I just watched an episode where he used a finish
that they called a 'shellac-wax' finish. They gave no details about it,
whether it was commercial or homemade, or how to make it. Checking the
DIYNet webpage was a disappointment as usual. Does anyone know anything
about this finish? I was playing around with some shellac the other day,
without much success. I was hoping this might help me out a bit, I have
shellac, I have (a butt-load of) beeswax, is this stuff easy to make? What
information can anyone give me about it?

---

Peter Teubel

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 02:12:07 GMT, "Alan Van Art" wrote:

I just watched an episode where he used a finish
that they called a 'shellac-wax' finish.

I haven't seen that program, but sounds like a regular friction polish to me (Mulands, HUT, etc.) . That contains, shellac and
carbuba wax.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com
Lobby Dosser

"Alan Van Art" wrote:

I don't know if anyone here watches the DIY Network or not, but I've
been following a show on that channel called WoodTurning Techniques.
It may be a bit rudimentary for many of you, but I find it helpful. If
you're interested it's hosted by Dave Hout. I just watched an episode
where he used a finish that they called a 'shellac-wax' finish. They
gave no details about it, whether it was commercial or homemade, or
how to make it. Checking the DIYNet webpage was a disappointment as
usual. Does anyone know anything about this finish? I was playing
around with some shellac the other day, without much success. I was
hoping this might help me out a bit, I have shellac, I have (a
butt-load of) beeswax, is this stuff easy to make? What information
can anyone give me about it?

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/shell.html

Also comes in a jar, here in the US. It does give a nice finish. Google
"friction wax" for competing products.

LD

---

George

Yep, the lac beetle makes wax. It's what you see in the bottom of the
initial mix when you buy shellac flakes which have not been dewaxed. You
decant the clear shellac and throw the residue, normally.
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/a...r/shellac.shtm

Might be that, but it could be a commercial suspension of non-lac wax as
well.

Shellac can be applied on a non-turning turning, too. Some use it as a
base for other finishes, some for the full finish. I like to use a
one-pound cut to seal, applying with a rag and taking off any raised grain
with 400 sandpaper. Second coat, same as the first. Then, while waiting
for someone to get sick or in front of a boring football game, I rub with a
rag lubricated with olive or grapeseed oil. It makes a finish with as much
depth as you care to have by adding more rubs.

"Alan Van Art" wrote in message
I don't know if anyone here watches the DIY Network or not, but I've been
following a show on that channel called WoodTurning Techniques. It may be

bit rudimentary for many of you, but I find it helpful. If you're

interested
it's hosted by Dave Hout. I just watched an episode where he used a finish
that they called a 'shellac-wax' finish. They gave no details about it,
whether it was commercial or homemade, or how to make it. Checking the
DIYNet webpage was a disappointment as usual. Does anyone know anything
about this finish? I was playing around with some shellac the other day,
without much success. I was hoping this might help me out a bit, I have
shellac, I have (a butt-load of) beeswax, is this stuff easy to make? What
information can anyone give me about it?

---

Alan Van Art

I thought those finishes came in solid form? This was a sort of paste. It
could have been the ShellaWax that some have pointed out, I think they were
using out of a paper cup so I didn't see a product label. It definitely
wasn't pure shellac, waxed or de-waxed. Has anyone ever tried to make this
type of finish? I made some finish that was a mixture of beeswax and mineral
oil once. The thing I didn't like about it was that it never got hard, as
mineral oil doesn't polymerize. Could it be as simple as melting some wax
into some shellac? Any ideas on ratios?

wrote:

I just watched an episode where he used a finish
that they called a 'shellac-wax' finish.

I haven't seen that program, but sounds like a regular friction polish to
me (Mulands, HUT, etc.) . That contains, shellac and
carbuba wax.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

---

Lobby Dosser

"Alan Van Art" wrote:

I thought those finishes came in solid form? This was a sort of paste.
It could have been the ShellaWax that some have pointed out, I think
they were using out of a paper cup so I didn't see a product label. It
definitely wasn't pure shellac, waxed or de-waxed. Has anyone ever
tried to make this type of finish? I made some finish that was a
mixture of beeswax and mineral oil once. The thing I didn't like about
it was that it never got hard, as mineral oil doesn't polymerize.
Could it be as simple as melting some wax into some shellac? Any ideas
on ratios?

http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/finish10.shtml

Just past the end of the first page.

LD

Bruce

Evenin' Alan:

Hut's Crystal Coat is a Shellac/Beeswax combination that I used on
Pens. Easy to use and good finish.

The Other Bruce