Bob Darrah

Default Bass Wood for jam chuck

I turn like to turn boxes. To turn the chuck marks off I use a jam chuck. I
was having a problem with the boxes cracking when I would jam the piece onto
a piece of hard wood. One day I reached for a piece of wood to make a jam
chuck out of and grabbed bass wood. I immediately had the thought that it
might give a bit when I jammed the box on and of course that is exactly what
it does. I haven't had a box crack since using it. Until last night...

I didn't have a piece of bass wood cut for the lathe so I used a piece of
hardwood that I used to use (I did the bottom with bass wood). I carefully
turned the hardwood until the Redwood Burl would go on. There was less than
a 1/64th of an inch to go so I popped the bottom with my palm and there was
that ugly sound of a crack. I couldn't find it so I continued to finish the
lid. It wasn't until later when I examined the lid with my wife that I saw
the damage. Just a hairline crack but it's there. Tick me off!

I'll be careful to have bass wood on hand for the next box I turn! If you
aren't using it then give it a try. Good stuff!

Bob Darrah
West Linn, Oregon

edward tabachek

Excellent advise Bob. Yes, I have had the same cracking problem. I am
going to use basswood and I will give some poplar a try too.
Thanks
Edward

Ray Sandusky

Edward

When I read the initial post, I thought - hey maybe Poplar would work for
this as well as it has the tendency to compress but is still a hardwood. So
when you said you would try Poplar too - you stole a bit of my thunder!

Ray

"edward tabachek" wrote in message
Excellent advise Bob. Yes, I have had the same cracking problem. I am
going to use basswood and I will give some poplar a try too.
Thanks
Edward

George

Poplar - as in aspen, or its cousin cottonwood, versus what's sold as "tulip
poplar" would be an excellent choice, as it has nicely
interlocked -splinter-free grain. Traditional use here was as the floor of
carts or stoneboats, where something that would dent rather than break was
preferred.

Been using it as vise jaws for a long time now. Also for the wooden jaws on
my original "Masterchuck."

"edward tabachek" wrote in message
Excellent advise Bob. Yes, I have had the same cracking problem. I am
going to use basswood and I will give some poplar a try too.
Thanks
Edward

Randy Rhine

My 2 cents worth...

Softer woods, with open grain work best with jam chucks. I use maple and
walnut a lot because I have a lot of it. Rather than try for a real snug
fit, you can turn the tenon so that the whatever you're jaming on will
just fit...but you don't have to force it on. Then wet the tenon (saliva
works well). This will expnd the wood just slightly and you should have
a nice snug fit.

rr

George wrote:
Poplar - as in aspen, or its cousin cottonwood, versus what's sold as "tulip
poplar" would be an excellent choice, as it has nicely
interlocked -splinter-free grain. Traditional use here was as the floor of
carts or stoneboats, where something that would dent rather than break was
preferred.

Been using it as vise jaws for a long time now. Also for the wooden jaws on
my original "Masterchuck."

"edward tabachek" wrote in message

Excellent advise Bob. Yes, I have had the same cracking problem. I am
going to use basswood and I will give some poplar a try too.
Thanks
Edward

Bob Darrah

I'll get some Poplar and try that, too. Especially since it is half the
price of Bass Wood. I watched Chris Stott do his jam chuck thing on all of
the boxes he turns but could never get it just right. You can here the air
pop out as he gets the final snugness. I can do that with the bass wood
where I couldn't with other soft woods. But I will try Poplar. Thanks for
all of the wise comments.

Bob

"Bob Darrah" wrote in message
[...]

Richard L.

Cotton wood may work, and I know of someone who has a whole yard full. ;))
FOT (free on the taking)

--

Richard,

Richard L. Rombold
WIZARD WOODWORKING
489 N. 32nd. St.
Springfield, Or .97478

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/...ername=thewizz

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"
"

Bob Darrah

You're funnin' me, Richard!

Bob
"Richard L." wrote in message
Cotton wood may work, and I know of someone who has a whole yard full.
;))
FOT (free on the taking)

--

Richard,

Richard L. Rombold
WIZARD WOODWORKING
489 N. 32nd. St.
Springfield, Or .97478

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/...ername=thewizz

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"
"

Richard L.

Not me, I wouldn't do that! Now what size did you what?

--

Richard,

Richard L. Rombold
WIZARD WOODWORKING
489 N. 32nd. St.
Springfield, Or .97478

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/...ername=thewizz

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"
"Bob Darrah" wrote in message
You're funnin' me, Richard!

Bob
"Richard L." wrote in message
Cotton wood may work, and I know of someone who has a whole yard full.
;))
FOT (free on the taking)

Bill Day

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:48:37 -0700, "Bob Darrah"
wrote:

I turn like to turn boxes. To turn the chuck marks off I use a jam chuck. I
was having a problem with the boxes cracking when I would jam the piece onto
a piece of hard wood.

depending on the shape of the box, you might try jamming it INTO a
recess, rather than over a tenon...I used to do this a lot before I
switched to chucks. Also, in either case, try making a less than tight
fit, and using a soft paper towel to pad it to just the right
snugness. (I also use a very small rubber tip, like a crutch tip, over
an insert in my live center in the tailstock to put some pressure on
the box when I don't feel totally safe.....the small area under it is
easily sanded away....

cindy drozda

Mahogany is my favorite. And an endgrain piece makes a more consistant jam
chuck than side grain. I glue pieces together if I have to. Soft Maple is
also good. The worst is to jam fit a Banksia pod onto another piece of
Banksia pod!

CD
boulder CO

Ken Moon

"cindy drozda" wrote in message

The worst is to jam fit a Banksia pod onto another piece of
Banksia pod!

Cindy,

Do you sell tickets to that?? {:-)

Ken