Bob Darrah

I'll get some Poplar and try that, too. Especially since it is half the
price of Bass Wood. I watched Chris Stott do his jam chuck thing on all of
the boxes he turns but could never get it just right. You can here the air
pop out as he gets the final snugness. I can do that with the bass wood
where I couldn't with other soft woods. But I will try Poplar. Thanks for
all of the wise comments.

Bob

"Bob Darrah" wrote in message
I turn like to turn boxes. To turn the chuck marks off I use a jam chuck. I
was having a problem with the boxes cracking when I would jam the piece
onto a piece of hard wood. One day I reached for a piece of wood to make a
jam chuck out of and grabbed bass wood. I immediately had the thought that
it might give a bit when I jammed the box on and of course that is exactly
what it does. I haven't had a box crack since using it. Until last night...

I didn't have a piece of bass wood cut for the lathe so I used a piece of
hardwood that I used to use (I did the bottom with bass wood). I carefully
turned the hardwood until the Redwood Burl would go on. There was less
than a 1/64th of an inch to go so I popped the bottom with my palm and
there was that ugly sound of a crack. I couldn't find it so I continued to
finish the lid. It wasn't until later when I examined the lid with my wife
that I saw the damage. Just a hairline crack but it's there. Tick me off!

I'll be careful to have bass wood on hand for the next box I turn! If you
aren't using it then give it a try. Good stuff!

Bob Darrah
West Linn, Oregon