Randy Rhine

My 2 cents worth...

Softer woods, with open grain work best with jam chucks. I use maple and
walnut a lot because I have a lot of it. Rather than try for a real snug
fit, you can turn the tenon so that the whatever you're jaming on will
just fit...but you don't have to force it on. Then wet the tenon (saliva
works well). This will expnd the wood just slightly and you should have
a nice snug fit.

rr

George wrote:
Poplar - as in aspen, or its cousin cottonwood, versus what's sold as "tulip
poplar" would be an excellent choice, as it has nicely
interlocked -splinter-free grain. Traditional use here was as the floor of
carts or stoneboats, where something that would dent rather than break was
preferred.

Been using it as vise jaws for a long time now. Also for the wooden jaws on
my original "Masterchuck."

"edward tabachek" wrote in message

Excellent advise Bob. Yes, I have had the same cracking problem. I am
going to use basswood and I will give some poplar a try too.
Thanks
Edward