Bob Darrah

It may be...but the name on the wall at the lumber yard says Bass Wood, 16/4
and 12/4.

Bob
"Denis Marier" wrote in message
When you referred to bass wood to you mean American Linden?
"Bob Darrah" wrote in message
I turn like to turn boxes. To turn the chuck marks off I use a jam chuck.

was having a problem with the boxes cracking when I would jam the piece

onto
a piece of hard wood. One day I reached for a piece of wood to make a jam
chuck out of and grabbed bass wood. I immediately had the thought that it
might give a bit when I jammed the box on and of course that is exactly

what
it does. I haven't had a box crack since using it. Until last night...

I didn't have a piece of bass wood cut for the lathe so I used a piece of
hardwood that I used to use (I did the bottom with bass wood). I
carefully
turned the hardwood until the Redwood Burl would go on. There was less

than
a 1/64th of an inch to go so I popped the bottom with my palm and there

was
that ugly sound of a crack. I couldn't find it so I continued to finish

the
lid. It wasn't until later when I examined the lid with my wife that I
saw
the damage. Just a hairline crack but it's there. Tick me off!

I'll be careful to have bass wood on hand for the next box I turn! If you
aren't using it then give it a try. Good stuff!

Bob Darrah
West Linn, Oregon