Wood Turn It Dont Burn It

Default Hollowing Recomendations

I want to try my hand at hollow vessels and would appreciate
recomendations on a good book and what tools I would need to do this.
I've been turning bowls for a year now with pretty good success and want
to take this next step. Your input is greatly appreciated.

STEMO

Jgklr2732

Rather than a book I suggest a couple of videos: John Jordan and David
Ellsworth both have excellent videos on this procedure.
Joe keeler
Jim Gott

I want to try my hand at hollow vessels and would appreciate
recomendations on a good book and what tools I would need to do this.
I've been turning bowls for a year now with pretty good success and want
to take this next step. Your input is greatly appreciated.

STEMO

BRBR

I don't know of any books on hollowing, but I think the best way is to see it
on video. I highly recommend the John Jordan video on hollow forms. He shows
the basic cutting techniques very well. He uses hand-held hollowing tools, but
after watching his video I bought the Jamieson system which uses a trap and a
"P" handle to arrest the torque, and was very successful using Jordan's
techniques. The Jamieson system is a very safe way to hollow and is less
demanding on your body.
Jordan also now makes his own 3/4" hollowing tools that will fit into the
Jamieson rig. I hope to get them soon. Jordan's tools are available at
stubbylathe.com and the Jamieson tools and Jordan video are available from
Craft Supplies USA and Packard.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA
Darrell Feltmate

I have to echo Joe Keeler. Both the Ellsworth and the Jordan videos are
excellent and they present two varied approaches to hollowing, both of which
I use on a fairly regular basis. I like to use the inserted tip tools like
Ellsworth makes but held in an arm brace. These are simple tools to make and
a cheap way to get started. For that matter they are a cheap way to continue
:-) See my web stie under tools for ideas.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Joe Fleming

STEMO,

You've asked a $64,000 question. Hollow forms include a huge array of
shapes and sizes. There is no single tool or system that can cover
the entire range. Most systems, even smaller ones, approach $80-$100.
they go up from there. (I'm not counting homemade which can be had
for a lot less).

I have three recommendations.

1 - Get the videos the others recommended.

2 - Read the articles on "More Woodturning's website written by Lyn
Mangiameli regarding hollowing tools. He has written extensively on
all sorts of tools, tool systems, handles, etc. You can get his
opinion of many tools and well as an excellent survey of what is on
the market.

3 - Talk to some other turners and borrow their tools. Hollowing
tools are expensive. I personally have better than $2,500 worth and I
use most of them for all kinds of hollow forms from Christmas ornament
balls to large vessels. Try them out before you buy.

Joe Fleming - San Diego
=================

(Wood Turn It Dont Burn It) wrote in message ...
I want to try my hand at hollow vessels and would appreciate
recomendations on a good book and what tools I would need to do this.
I've been turning bowls for a year now with pretty good success and want
to take this next step. Your input is greatly appreciated.

STEMO

Wood Turn It Dont Burn It

I think it's time to purchase some videos. I thank you for your

STEMO

Brad

STEMO,

I agree with the video recommendations -- its best to see and hear the
tools at work, and sound becomes very important in thin-walled hollow
forms. For books, I think the best information I've seen is in
Woodturning: A Fresh Approach, by Robert Chapman (GMC Publications,
Great Britain).

Safe spinning,

Brad Vietje
Thetford, VT