Lem Bledsoe

Default Jet 1440 Lathe

I would like to upgrade my wood lathe, have looked at Nova DVR, Oneway 1224
and Vicmarc VL200. All are a little more than I would like to spent. Any one
have any experience with the Jet 1440?

---

Maxprop

"Lem Bledsoe" wrote in message

I would like to upgrade my wood lathe, have looked at Nova DVR, Oneway

1224
and Vicmarc VL200. All are a little more than I would like to spent. Any

one
have any experience with the Jet 1440?

The first three on your list are better lathes than the Jet. They have
features and quality the Jet simply doesn't have. But to answer your
question, I have the Jet 1442 and am pleased with its performance,
especially in light of the price I paid for it: $767. I've had only minor
problems so far. 1) I jammed the speed control early on, ultimately
breaking the detent pin, and having to replace the speed control lever
assembly. Cost: $19. 2) I've bogged the lathe down twice when I attempted
to take a bit too much wood, but I suspect I'd have bogged one or more of
the others above attempting the same ham-fisted maneuver. 3) The drive
belt began to vibrate a bit after about 30 hours of use. I replaced it with
a segmented belt, which works beautifully and doesn't vibrate.

I like the Jet and find it difficult to imagine a better lathe for a
beginner at anywhere near its price point. It truly is a bargain in its
class. And don't believe the weight stated in the literature. The whole
unit weighs 350lbs. with the cast legs. I added a shelf between the legs
and applied an additional 100lbs of sandbags, making the lathe very stable
and vibration-free.

Max

Wizard

Max, I have the Jet 1442 and could be happier with it. It Is my fisrt lather
ever and it has done everything I have tried with zero problems. The 1hp
motor has plent of power for what I turn.
Dennis
"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Maxprop

"Wizard" wrote in message

Max, I have the Jet 1442 and could be happier with it. It Is my fisrt

lather
ever and it has done everything I have tried with zero problems. The 1hp
motor has plent of power for what I turn.
Dennis

I'm always a bit surprised when others recommend a lathe costing $600 to
$1500 more when the Jet 1442 is such a great lathe for a beginner. More
experienced turners don't care for the Reeve's speed control, but it does
work well and with minimal hassles. And yes, the 1hp motor does seem strong
enough for most turning tasks, provided one does not get too aggressive, as
I've done a couple of times.

An older neighbor, whom we invited for dinner several weeks ago, surprised
me, after seeing some of my bowls, by telling me that he used to do a lot of
turning years back. I asked if he'd like to use my lathe, as he'd sold his
about 15 years ago. He was ecstatic. He now turns about 4 hours a week on
my lathe and is very complimentary toward it. His lathe was an old Delta
Top Turn, whatever that was. He tends to be rather, um, straight forward
and would be candid if he didn't like the Jet. No criticism so far; only
smiles.

Max

RonB

I have owned a Jet 1442 for about a year and I am very satisfied. I also
experienced a problem with the speed control handle sticking but it either
passed or I learned where to put my tongue when changing speeds. With its
heavy bed and the cast iron legs it provides plenty of mass. If you compare
it with the bigger powrmatics, you will see a lot of similarity in legs, and
other features. I bought it to supplement my wood shop and I am still
learning to turn with it. The machine has enough power, low vibration/noise
to be a good teacher.

Kevin

Max just earned a boatload of brownie points. Really nice to let the
neighbor use your lathe. Brought a smile to his face. As it is oft
mentioned on this newsgroup -
a grat bunch of guys (& gals)!

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Wizard" wrote in message

[...]

Maxprop

"RonB" wrote in message

I have owned a Jet 1442 for about a year and I am very satisfied. I also
experienced a problem with the speed control handle sticking but it either
passed or I learned where to put my tongue when changing speeds. With its
heavy bed and the cast iron legs it provides plenty of mass. If you

compare
it with the bigger powrmatics, you will see a lot of similarity in legs,

and
other features. I bought it to supplement my wood shop and I am still
learning to turn with it. The machine has enough power, low

vibration/noise
to be a good teacher.

I'm a novice turner, but have produced a few nice items on this lathe. I
also had the opportunity to try my hand at turning a small bowl on a
Powermatic 3520 at a recent demo at a local store. Frankly, aside from the
convenience of the electronic variable speed control on the Powermatic, I
don't believe I could tell much difference between turning a 5" bowl on my
lathe vs. the Powermatic. For the money the Jet 1442 is difficult to equal.

Max