Maxprop

"Wizard" wrote in message

Max, I have the Jet 1442 and could be happier with it. It Is my fisrt

lather
ever and it has done everything I have tried with zero problems. The 1hp
motor has plent of power for what I turn.
Dennis

I'm always a bit surprised when others recommend a lathe costing $600 to
$1500 more when the Jet 1442 is such a great lathe for a beginner. More
experienced turners don't care for the Reeve's speed control, but it does
work well and with minimal hassles. And yes, the 1hp motor does seem strong
enough for most turning tasks, provided one does not get too aggressive, as
I've done a couple of times.

An older neighbor, whom we invited for dinner several weeks ago, surprised
me, after seeing some of my bowls, by telling me that he used to do a lot of
turning years back. I asked if he'd like to use my lathe, as he'd sold his
about 15 years ago. He was ecstatic. He now turns about 4 hours a week on
my lathe and is very complimentary toward it. His lathe was an old Delta
Top Turn, whatever that was. He tends to be rather, um, straight forward
and would be candid if he didn't like the Jet. No criticism so far; only
smiles.

Max