Wizard

Max, I have the Jet 1442 and could be happier with it. It Is my fisrt lather
ever and it has done everything I have tried with zero problems. The 1hp
motor has plent of power for what I turn.
Dennis
"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Lem Bledsoe" wrote in message

I would like to upgrade my wood lathe, have looked at Nova DVR, Oneway

1224
and Vicmarc VL200. All are a little more than I would like to spent. Any

one
have any experience with the Jet 1440?

The first three on your list are better lathes than the Jet. They have
features and quality the Jet simply doesn't have. But to answer your
question, I have the Jet 1442 and am pleased with its performance,
especially in light of the price I paid for it: $767. I've had only

minor
problems so far. 1) I jammed the speed control early on, ultimately
breaking the detent pin, and having to replace the speed control lever
assembly. Cost: $19. 2) I've bogged the lathe down twice when I

attempted
to take a bit too much wood, but I suspect I'd have bogged one or more of
the others above attempting the same ham-fisted maneuver. 3) The drive
belt began to vibrate a bit after about 30 hours of use. I replaced it

with
a segmented belt, which works beautifully and doesn't vibrate.

I like the Jet and find it difficult to imagine a better lathe for a
beginner at anywhere near its price point. It truly is a bargain in its
class. And don't believe the weight stated in the literature. The whole
unit weighs 350lbs. with the cast legs. I added a shelf between the legs
and applied an additional 100lbs of sandbags, making the lathe very stable
and vibration-free.

Max