Arch

Default Musing about craking up

Do any of you know of a site with pictures of crackle finished wood
turnings? I remember that back when hams built their own radios I
embellished the aluminum front panels with black crackle paint. Ergo, I
hope that at long last, I've found my very own signature identify for my
wood art, (aka messed up turnings). At the least they should be LDD
resistant.

Of course, I must make sure that my crackled turnings will be unique
and so far out on the leading edge that other turners will be reluctant
to copy the master. I probably should wait until the big bucks actually
start rolling in before I overextend my credit card. I sure hope I'm
not too late again, tempus is fugiting!

I remember crackling bread & sorghum for breakfast, so I might name my
first crackled masterpieces the "chitterling series". After the
expected huge success, the second series will be adorned in my alligator
hide phase.

On the outside chance that I'm all cracked up, I respectfully request
your advice and personal experience re crackle paint finishing on wood.
If there's no response, I'll assume that I've found my unique signature
and I'll thank you to not copy it. , Arch

For a can opener go to:
www.realmilkpaint.com

Fortiter,

Leif Thorvaldson

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

Arch: YOu might try: http://www.johnsonpaint.com/pages/polyvine.htm to
further fertilize your always fertilized imagination. *G*

Leif

Peter Hyde

On the outside chance that I'm all cracked up, I respectfully request
your advice and personal experience re crackle paint finishing on wood.
If there's no response, I'll assume that I've found my unique signature
and I'll thank you to not copy it. , Arch

For a can opener go to:
www.realmilkpaint.com

Fortiter,

Arch,
I have done several wood projects with crackle finishes and see no
reason why it couldn't be applied to turnings.
First apply a latex base coat and then use Ralph Lauren crackle glaze
and then apply the contrast top coat and sit back and watch the
cracles. Finally finish with a clear waterbase polyurethane. The RL
crackle glaze is available at your nearest big orange box store.

Kip055

On the outside chance that I'm all cracked up, I respectfully request
your advice and personal experience re crackle paint finishing on wood

Hi Arch:

I have done a little crackle finishing on turned objects: acrylic base coat,
followed by a coat of hide glue, wait til it is tack free (perhaps 45 min),
then an acrylic top coat. Personally, I was not wild about the reslts,
although it did "crackle" well. When I used it as an accent, it sold, the
one's where I did the whole piece, I still own

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR