Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Tight Lid

What can I do to assure a tight fitting lid on a turned box after sanding?
I made a simple box out of Apple wood, and had the fit perfect... then
sanded it and the lid was too loose. A little shellac fixed the problem,
but I was planning on sanding to 1000 and letting the wood shine without
finish.

In the future, what can I do to ensure that the lid fits tight after
sanding? I want a fit where the lid sits nicely and doesn't rattle, but
doesn't take a hammer to install either.

This was a small box, about 1.5"x1".

Thanks,

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Puckdropper wrote:
What can I do to assure a tight fitting lid on a turned box after sanding?
I made a simple box out of Apple wood, and had the fit perfect... then
sanded it and the lid was too loose. A little shellac fixed the problem,
but I was planning on sanding to 1000 and letting the wood shine without
finish.

In the future, what can I do to ensure that the lid fits tight after
sanding? I want a fit where the lid sits nicely and doesn't rattle, but
doesn't take a hammer to install either.

This was a small box, about 1.5"x1".

Thanks,

Puckdropper

Make it oversize and sand to fit.

--
GW Ross

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 20/02/2016 5:39 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
What can I do to assure a tight fitting lid on a turned box after sanding?
I made a simple box out of Apple wood, and had the fit perfect... then
sanded it and the lid was too loose. A little shellac fixed the problem,
but I was planning on sanding to 1000 and letting the wood shine without
finish.

In the future, what can I do to ensure that the lid fits tight after
sanding? I want a fit where the lid sits nicely and doesn't rattle, but
doesn't take a hammer to install either.

This was a small box, about 1.5"x1".

Thanks,

Puckdropper

I've made scores of boxes but once I get the lid to fit, I *never* sand
the "mortice" or "tenon" but wax them with a little beeswax.
Graham
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Just wait for he RH in the house vs the shop.
It will expand or shrink. One can never be happy on the fits.
Wood also shrinks with age.

I have a birdhouse that has an acorn top on the base. The base
expanded in an axis not evenly. It pinches the top on. It fit nicely
before but now is tough. But what the heck, we never want to take it
off anyway - it is a kitchen shelf decoration not a bird birdhouse.

Martin

On 2/20/2016 6:39 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
What can I do to assure a tight fitting lid on a turned box after sanding?
I made a simple box out of Apple wood, and had the fit perfect... then
sanded it and the lid was too loose. A little shellac fixed the problem,
but I was planning on sanding to 1000 and letting the wood shine without
finish.

In the future, what can I do to ensure that the lid fits tight after
sanding? I want a fit where the lid sits nicely and doesn't rattle, but
doesn't take a hammer to install either.

This was a small box, about 1.5"x1".

Thanks,

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2/20/2016 7:39 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
What can I do to assure a tight fitting lid on a turned box after sanding?
I made a simple box out of Apple wood, and had the fit perfect... then
sanded it and the lid was too loose. A little shellac fixed the problem,
but I was planning on sanding to 1000 and letting the wood shine without
finish.

In the future, what can I do to ensure that the lid fits tight after
sanding? I want a fit where the lid sits nicely and doesn't rattle, but
doesn't take a hammer to install either.

This was a small box, about 1.5"x1".

Thanks,

Puckdropper

I agree with the beeswax solution. No one is going to see the lid joint
parts anyway so why try to sand them until they shine? As noted in
other posts, the joint is going to swell and shrink with the weather and
may fit perfectly on one day and be loose or tight on another.

Fit it until you get that wonderful "pop" when you open it. Add some
wax and go have a beer! Don't sweat the small stuff!

Pops in Howell, NJ

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 00:39:08 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

What can I do to assure a tight fitting lid on a turned box after
sanding?

We had the pleasure of a nationally known turner in our local group. His
comment was that the turners always liked those tight fitting lids as
proof of their capabilities. But the people who bought his stuff always
complained that they wanted lids they could take off with one hand - not
having to hold both parts.

So if you want to sell your turned boxes, don't worry as long as it's not
excessively loose - it shouldn't rattle around :-).

P.S. You can read more of Russ's wisdowm on:

http://woodcentral.com/russ/russindex.shtml

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 6:39:10 PM UTC-6, wrote:
What can I do to assure a tight fitting lid on a turned box after sanding?
I made a simple box out of Apple wood, and had the fit perfect... then
sanded it and the lid was too loose. A little shellac fixed the problem,
but I was planning on sanding to 1000 and letting the wood shine without
finish.

In the future, what can I do to ensure that the lid fits tight after
sanding? I want a fit where the lid sits nicely and doesn't rattle, but
doesn't take a hammer to install either.

This was a small box, about 1.5"x1".

Thanks,

Puckdropper

G, Ross had a good idea, the other thing you can do is to get the exact fit and do not touch it after that. If you put finish on the mating surfaces, you have a chance of the finish acting like glue and sticking the lid on.

Deb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Larry Blanchard wrote in
:

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 00:39:08 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

What can I do to assure a tight fitting lid on a turned box after
sanding?

We had the pleasure of a nationally known turner in our local group.
His comment was that the turners always liked those tight fitting lids
as proof of their capabilities. But the people who bought his stuff
always complained that they wanted lids they could take off with one
hand - not having to hold both parts.

So if you want to sell your turned boxes, don't worry as long as it's
not excessively loose - it shouldn't rattle around :-).

P.S. You can read more of Russ's wisdowm on:

http://woodcentral.com/russ/russindex.shtml

That's exactly the fit I wound up with. Easily removed with one hand but
it doesn't rattle around. I was hoping to get a fit where the lid would
stay on when the box was inverted but fit easily, but I guess we're
talking about hitting a range in machinist's tenths there...

Interestingly, I got a good fit by missing my objective! Today was a
good day.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom Puskar wrote in
:

I agree with the beeswax solution. No one is going to see the lid
joint parts anyway so why try to sand them until they shine? As noted
in other posts, the joint is going to swell and shrink with the
weather and may fit perfectly on one day and be loose or tight on
another.

Fit it until you get that wonderful "pop" when you open it. Add some
wax and go have a beer! Don't sweat the small stuff!

Pops in Howell, NJ

Does the drying method make a difference in the movement? This is air
dried from one of the branches of the tree.

Next time I try one, I might round/chamfer/dress the edges of the top to
give your fingers something to grab as you open the box. That way, if the
box does decide to stick you can still open it.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 02/21/2016 02:22 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Tom Puskar wrote in
:

I agree with the beeswax solution. No one is going to see the lid
joint parts anyway so why try to sand them until they shine? As noted
in other posts, the joint is going to swell and shrink with the
weather and may fit perfectly on one day and be loose or tight on
another.

Fit it until you get that wonderful "pop" when you open it. Add some
wax and go have a beer! Don't sweat the small stuff!

Pops in Howell, NJ

Does the drying method make a difference in the movement? This is air
dried from one of the branches of the tree.

Next time I try one, I might round/chamfer/dress the edges of the top to
give your fingers something to grab as you open the box. That way, if the
box does decide to stick you can still open it.

I've found that in addition to drying, all wood is "reaction wood" to
some degree. After you remove the inside, the stresses in the wood
changes and it will move a bit.

I've turned closed forms with lids from wood that sat in my shop for
years. It always moves. Lately I'll turn it so the lid fits tightly,
then set it aside for a week or two. After a while I'll remount them
and true up the fit.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

Tight by SAN Nutrition - $29.95 Each liukaiyuan Electronics Repair 0 June 6th 08 01:25 PM
RAS Too Tight Hoosierpopi Woodworking 12 June 4th 08 02:54 AM
Packing Nut-How tight? seagar Home Repair 12 January 24th 07 03:07 PM
Replacing hose bib - How tight is tight? Jay Steiner Home Repair 4 October 24th 06 06:52 AM
How tight should drawers fit? Mark Wells Woodworking 12 October 26th 05 04:42 AM