Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Tight Lid

On 02/21/2016 02:22 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Tom Puskar wrote in
:

I agree with the beeswax solution. No one is going to see the lid
joint parts anyway so why try to sand them until they shine? As noted
in other posts, the joint is going to swell and shrink with the
weather and may fit perfectly on one day and be loose or tight on
another.

Fit it until you get that wonderful "pop" when you open it. Add some
wax and go have a beer! Don't sweat the small stuff!

Pops in Howell, NJ

Does the drying method make a difference in the movement? This is air
dried from one of the branches of the tree.

Next time I try one, I might round/chamfer/dress the edges of the top to
give your fingers something to grab as you open the box. That way, if the
box does decide to stick you can still open it.

I've found that in addition to drying, all wood is "reaction wood" to
some degree. After you remove the inside, the stresses in the wood
changes and it will move a bit.

I've turned closed forms with lids from wood that sat in my shop for
years. It always moves. Lately I'll turn it so the lid fits tightly,
then set it aside for a week or two. After a while I'll remount them
and true up the fit.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller