Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Puskar Tom Puskar is offline

Default Tight Lid

On 2/20/2016 7:39 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
What can I do to assure a tight fitting lid on a turned box after sanding?
I made a simple box out of Apple wood, and had the fit perfect... then
sanded it and the lid was too loose. A little shellac fixed the problem,
but I was planning on sanding to 1000 and letting the wood shine without
finish.

In the future, what can I do to ensure that the lid fits tight after
sanding? I want a fit where the lid sits nicely and doesn't rattle, but
doesn't take a hammer to install either.

This was a small box, about 1.5"x1".

Thanks,

Puckdropper

I agree with the beeswax solution. No one is going to see the lid joint
parts anyway so why try to sand them until they shine? As noted in
other posts, the joint is going to swell and shrink with the weather and
may fit perfectly on one day and be loose or tight on another.

Fit it until you get that wonderful "pop" when you open it. Add some
wax and go have a beer! Don't sweat the small stuff!

Pops in Howell, NJ