Darren

Default Inlay glue?

I have seen projects with various inlays and I was looking at trying that.
I bought an inlay mixture and it worked nice --- basically like bondo or
something like that. However, that inlay material was an all inclusive kit.
I want to try other things (oyster shells, turquoise etc), so what kind of
glue do you use to mix that with so it can be an inlay? I would imagine the
normal wood glue would be clear enough and I wonder if it could hold up to
the heat \ friction of turning \ sanding.

Thanks
Darren

Minorite

or black
Kip055

I want to try other things (oyster shells, turquoise etc), so what kind of
glue do you use to mix that with so it can be an inlay

As other respondents have indicated, you can use epoxy. You can also us CA,
which I personally favor as ther's no mixing to contend with. For chips of
stone, I put thich CA in the void, place the chips with tweezers. For poder,
pack it in dry and drip on the water thin CA. NOTE: CA will stain some woods,
chek a scrap and if it does, seal the piece around the area to be inlaid first.
For turquoise, I usually sand the piece to 120, inlay, sand again with 120 and
then go through the grits

Hope this helps

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR
Pain Devine

I can personally vouch for CA glue... I have to use the belt sander to get
it off my fingers. There are different viscosities though... get the thicker
stuff... the thin stuff runs like rubbing alchahol and is hard to control.