Old July 1st 13, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Default Identify wood.

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 19:39:48 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

John Grossbohlin wrote:
"F Murtz" wrote in message ...

Can any one identify this wood, I got it as firewood and burned a lot
before I discovered it makes good pens.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1130203...93133194393666

I agree with the others who suggest that it is eastern red cedar...
juniper.

I don't think I've ever seen eastern red cedar intentionally used for
firewood but I do recall seeing such trees burn. A fire ripped through
forests and fields near my childhood home and I recall how the cedars
crackled as they exploded in a ball of flames. It was a memorable
experience!

RE pens, I've seen pens turned from this wood and they looked nice.
However, the wood is so soft that after a bit of use they looked beat
up. One fellow kind of solved that problem by finishing them with a thin
variety of CA glue which soaked in and basically plasticized the wood. I
imagine that thinned lacquer would do the same thing given enough coats.

John

I use superglue (cyanoacrylate or CA.for short) as a lot of pen makers
do, it is being increasingly used on small bowls pepper grinders etc.

Even a good urethane varnish can firm up cedar (and mahogany) quite
well - water born better than solvent.

Old July 1st 13, 09:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...

Very common proocess in pen-making - and as for using it for firewood,
there is NO better kindling than just about any variety of "cedar"

Absolutely cedar makes good kindling and tinder... Not so good for firewood
though as it burns fast and pitch pockets pop... definitely don't want the
greens in the fire!

When camping involved cooking over fires (vs. the single burner stove I use
now) I would pull cedar bark off trees, shred it up, and use it for tinder.
Found nothing better.

John

Old April 10th 14, 06:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sunday, June 30, 2013 4:58:15 AM UTC-4, F Murtz wrote:
Can any one identify this wood, I got it as firewood and burned a lot

before I discovered it makes good pens.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1130203...93133194393666

If not red cedar, it's likely to be juniper.

Identify wood. F Murtz Woodworking 31 July 1st 13 09:55 PM
Please help identify this wood larry UK diy 7 January 16th 06 11:17 AM
Please help identify this wood larry Woodworking 6 January 15th 06 09:25 PM
Can't identify wood [email protected] Woodworking 8 December 13th 05 08:15 PM
Looking to identify a wood Carl Swanson Woodworking 13 January 18th 04 10:47 PM