Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Default Identify wood.

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 22:57:16 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"F Murtz" wrote in message ...

Can any one identify this wood, I got it as firewood and burned a lot
before I discovered it makes good pens.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1130203...93133194393666

I agree with the others who suggest that it is eastern red cedar... juniper.

I don't think I've ever seen eastern red cedar intentionally used for
firewood but I do recall seeing such trees burn. A fire ripped through
forests and fields near my childhood home and I recall how the cedars
crackled as they exploded in a ball of flames. It was a memorable
experience!

RE pens, I've seen pens turned from this wood and they looked nice. However,
the wood is so soft that after a bit of use they looked beat up. One fellow
kind of solved that problem by finishing them with a thin variety of CA glue
which soaked in and basically plasticized the wood. I imagine that thinned
lacquer would do the same thing given enough coats.

John

Very common proocess in pen-making - and as for using it for firewood,
there is NO better kindling than just about any variety of "cedar"