Posted to rec.woodworking
larry

Default Please help identify this wood

I need to get some hardwood for hand railings and need it to be the same as
the existing if possible. I have placed picture on my website.
http://wood.ergonometrix.co.uk/woodstair.jpg

Currently it is stained and varnished but I would like to sand it down and
apply oil or beeswax.

- depending on it's angle to the light the wood reflects the light in
different ways. - Is it real mahogany or ?

Looking forward to your answers.

Cheers
Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking
larry

Thanks Leon

I have uploaded a hopefully shaper one -still same link - I'm only using a
Logitec webcam.

"larry" wrote in message
I need to get some hardwood for hand railings and need it to be the same
as the existing if possible. I have placed picture on my website.
http://wood.ergonometrix.co.uk/woodstair.jpg

Currently it is stained and varnished but I would like to sand it down
and apply oil or beeswax.

- depending on it's angle to the light the wood reflects the light in
different ways. - Is it real mahogany or ?

Looking forward to your answers.

Cheers
Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"larry" wrote in message
I need to get some hardwood for hand railings and need it to be the same as
the existing if possible. I have placed picture on my website.
http://wood.ergonometrix.co.uk/woodstair.jpg

Currently it is stained and varnished but I would like to sand it down and
apply oil or beeswax.

- depending on it's angle to the light the wood reflects the light in
different ways. - Is it real mahogany or ?

Looks more like African mahogany than mahogany, but who knows.

I took a piece of wood into two good lumber yards and asked them what it
was. They both said it was a tropical wood nominally called mahogany; but
it could be any of several dozen species and there was no practical way to
be sure. So getting an accurate answer from a poor photo...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

larry wrote:
I need to get some hardwood for hand railings and need it to be the
same as the existing if possible. I have placed picture on my website.
http://wood.ergonometrix.co.uk/woodstair.jpg

Currently it is stained and varnished but I would like to sand it
down and apply oil or beeswax.

- depending on it's angle to the light the wood reflects the light in
different ways. - Is it real mahogany or ?

Impossible to tell what the shaped piece is, what it is resting on is
mahogany. "Real" mahogony? Well, Carribean/Latin America as opposed to
Phillipine but exactly what kind of Carribean/Latin America I couldn't
say. Best guess is Honduras in which case it would be "real" (Swietenia
macrophylla).

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
larry

thank you all - I eventully went for utile - that's what the timber yard had
and it resembled it pretty well - maybe even the same. It's only a 10-15
year old house so I was pleased that it was not some cheap stained pine the
builder had used.