Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
.[_23_] .[_23_] is offline

Default Identify wood.

On 6/30/2013 6:57 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/30/2013 8:20 PM, F Murtz wrote:
dpb wrote:
On 6/30/2013 12:05 PM, F Murtz wrote:

Another poster mentioned juniper which is possible, I suppose. Where
did it come from?

I am in Australia, bought a second hand wood heater and the wood came
with it and I wish I had not burnt as much before I sawed a bit
diagonally, it probably was grown in a domestic garden.

Ooooh...that means could be most anything--I think all of us responding
so far have been USA and thinking of native species here.

It does definitely look like red cedar appearance-wise and I suppose
they could have been imported as ornamentals but they're certainly not
considered high on the list for it in the US except some areas where
it's hard to get much of anything to grow -- like where I am in the
semi-arid western High Plains.

Best guess then might be to take a piece to a local horticultural shop
and see if they can identify it.

--

Juniper, cedar, and other shrubs/trees of that family all have a similar
red heartwood and white sapwood - and there are some pretty odd trees in