Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Default Identify wood.

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 19:39:48 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

John Grossbohlin wrote:
"F Murtz" wrote in message ...

Can any one identify this wood, I got it as firewood and burned a lot
before I discovered it makes good pens.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1130203...93133194393666

I agree with the others who suggest that it is eastern red cedar...
juniper.

I don't think I've ever seen eastern red cedar intentionally used for
firewood but I do recall seeing such trees burn. A fire ripped through
forests and fields near my childhood home and I recall how the cedars
crackled as they exploded in a ball of flames. It was a memorable
experience!

RE pens, I've seen pens turned from this wood and they looked nice.
However, the wood is so soft that after a bit of use they looked beat
up. One fellow kind of solved that problem by finishing them with a thin
variety of CA glue which soaked in and basically plasticized the wood. I
imagine that thinned lacquer would do the same thing given enough coats.

John

I use superglue (cyanoacrylate or CA.for short) as a lot of pen makers
do, it is being increasingly used on small bowls pepper grinders etc.

Even a good urethane varnish can firm up cedar (and mahogany) quite
well - water born better than solvent.