Kevin

Default A 'not so strange' occurance?

A friend of the wife's recently gave me some free wood. Not sure what it is
but have a posted a pic of the wood on ABPW. Last night I finished up a
bowl. Not all that elaborate of a piece but I am still learning. I sanded
to 220 and then burnished with shavings from the bowl itself. As a finish I
poured into the bowl less than a 1/4 cup of Watco Danish natural. I then
started to kind of tilt the bowl around to get the entire inside coated.
After it was soaked my intent was to wipe it out and use the rag on the
outside. Well I had been tilting the bowl around for maybe a minute or so
and noticed that the oil was going right through the walls. Within 3-5
minutes there was no difference twixt the inside or out in terms of oil
coverage. The walls are close to a quarter inch give or take a bit.
Nowas to the id of the wood, I do have a couple more picks, one is a
cross-cut (radial) pic showing the rings. The chips/shavings readliy rust
the ways of the lathe and the foot of the bowl tends to react with the chuck
jaws staining the foot black. Any help on an id is appreciated.
-Kevin

Doug Miller

In article , "Kevin" wrote:
A friend of the wife's recently gave me some free wood. Not sure what it is
but have a posted a pic of the wood on ABPW.

It's unquestionably oak. Some difference of opinion on ABPW as to whether it's
red or white.

[snip]
After it was soaked my intent was to wipe it out and use the rag on the
outside. Well I had been tilting the bowl around for maybe a minute or so
and noticed that the oil was going right through the walls. Within 3-5
minutes there was no difference twixt the inside or out in terms of oil
coverage.

BINGO! Positive identification as red oak, not white.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

Kevin

Thanks Doug. And one more question. I have a hedge clipper with a broken
handle. Oak would be good for the replacement?

Thanks,
-Kevin

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.com...
In article , "Kevin"

wrote:
[...]

Doug Miller

In article , "Kevin" wrote:
Thanks Doug. And one more question. I have a hedge clipper with a broken
handle. Oak would be good for the replacement?

Tool handles of nearly all sorts [1] are traditionally made from ash. Oak
would work, but ash is a better choice for several reasons. It has a much
better strength-to-weight ratio than oak, or indeed most other domestic woods.
It's easier to turn. And it's cheaper, too. (Except when compared to free red
oak, of course.)

Unfortunately for the recipient of said free wood, red oak is particularly
ill-suited for use in any outdoor application. I believe you've already
learned about its porosity. :-) It will soak up water even more readily than
it soaks up oil; this makes it much more likely than ash to warp, split, rot,
or all three.

[1] The principal exceptions are hammer, axe, and hatchet handles, which are
nearly always made from hickory due to its extremely high shock resistance.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

Nova

Kevin wrote:

A friend of the wife's recently gave me some free wood. Not sure what it is
but have a posted a pic of the wood on ABPW.

snip

Any help on an id is appreciated.
-Kevin

It's oak and because of the description of the porous nature it would be red
oak. Red oak is made up of a cell structure that is like soda straws. You can
blow through it. You can't with white oak.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Ken Moon

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.com...
SNIP .......
Unfortunately for the recipient of said free wood, red oak is particularly
ill-suited for use in any outdoor application. I believe you've already
learned about its porosity. :-) It will soak up water even more readily

than
it soaks up oil; this makes it much more likely than ash to warp, split,

rot,
or all three.

[1] The principal exceptions are hammer, axe, and hatchet handles, which

are
nearly always made from hickory due to its extremely high shock

resistance.
======================
Doug,
Baseball bats are usually made from ash, but my dad turned me one from
hickory when I was in grade school. Great bat! Had a lot more weight out at
the end. After learning to use it, it was the favorite of several of the
neighbors kids.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Doug Miller

In article , "Barry N. Turner" wrote:
And you've learned why they never make whiskey barrels from Red
Oak...................they leak.

That's only half of the story. Even if red oak didn't leak like a sieve, the
disagreeable flavor it imparts would still make it completely unsuitable for
storage of any beverage.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

Doug Miller

In article et, "Ken Moon" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.com...
SNIP .......
[...]

"Had a lot more weight out at the end." Yeah, I bet it did!! That's the main
reason hickory isn't used much for ball bats. Mechanically, it's better suited
than ash for that purpose, but it's awful heavy.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

George

Y' think? Apparently tannin isn't just tannin to an oenophile. Check this
out.

http://www.bouchardcooperages.com/we...st_origin.html

How much is snobbery and how much reality is the question.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.com...
In article , "Barry N.

Turner" wrote:
And you've learned why they never make whiskey barrels from Red
Oak...................they leak.

That's only half of the story. Even if red oak didn't leak like a sieve,

the
disagreeable flavor it imparts would still make it completely unsuitable

for
storage of any beverage.

Doug Miller

In article , "George" george@least wrote:
Y' think? Apparently tannin isn't just tannin to an oenophile. Check this
out.

http://www.bouchardcooperages.com/we...st_origin.html

How much is snobbery and how much reality is the question.

Most of it's snobbery -- but be aware that the discussion over what types of
oak are "best" for wine barrels relates to different species and subspecies of
*white* oak. Under NO circumstances is red oak EVER used for beverage barrels,
nor would it be even if it were watertight, because it smells like cat ****
when it gets wet, and would of course impart a similar flavor.

Turner" wrote:
And you've learned why they never make whiskey barrels from Red
Oak...................they leak.

That's only half of the story. Even if red oak didn't leak like a sieve,

the
disagreeable flavor it imparts would still make it completely unsuitable

for
storage of any beverage.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

George

Sounds like some of the wine I drank in my college days, actually....

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.com...
Under NO circumstances is red oak EVER used for beverage barrels,
nor would it be even if it were watertight, because it smells like cat

****
when it gets wet, and would of course impart a similar flavor.

Doug Miller

In article , "George" george@least wrote:
Sounds like some of the wine I drank in my college days, actually....

Mmmmm... my sympathies.