james Mc

Default Strange marks on wall

I moved into a newly build apartment in December 2001. In March 2003
(15 months after property was built \ moved into) a strange effect has
appeared on certain walls. The effect looks like someone has put
their fingers in grease and dabbed them sporadically over the walls.
There is no pattern to this and it has only happened on the inside
walls that are next to an outside wall, neither are the walls westerly
facing. No mould marks have appeared and the effect does not feel
damp to touch. I did have a picture frame on one of these walls and
the backside of it (i.e. facing the wall) was covered in mildew. I
brought the builders in to inspect it and they put it down to lack of
ventilation and the moisture in the room had attracted to the walls
causing this effect. They have suggested treating the wall with a
‘stain block’ product and re-painting (although they are
prepared to supply painters). So the questions I have got a

1. Is this correct what they are telling me i.e. lack of ventilation
causing moisture to attract to the walls?
2. What should I use to treat the walls so that this effect will not
show though when I re-paint?

Thanks,

James
BigWallop

"james Mc" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Does the house have an open plan kitchen ? Or is there a doorway through
from the kitchen to another two parts of the house, e.g., one through to the
hallway and one through to the living room ?

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Plaster marks james Mc UK diy 3 July 29th 03 01:59 PM
Building an internal wall - brick or stud? steve UK diy 6 July 24th 03 10:40 AM
Sound proofing wall Ash1 UK diy 9 July 23rd 03 02:32 AM
Fixing plasterboard straight onto a wall Chris Harris UK diy 3 July 11th 03 12:18 AM
How high can a garden wall between two houses be? M. Farlow UK diy 9 July 5th 03 05:49 PM