Doug Miller

Default A 'not so strange' occurance?

In article et, "Ken Moon" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.com...
SNIP .......
Unfortunately for the recipient of said free wood, red oak is particularly
ill-suited for use in any outdoor application. I believe you've already
learned about its porosity. :-) It will soak up water even more readily

than
it soaks up oil; this makes it much more likely than ash to warp, split,

rot,
or all three.

[1] The principal exceptions are hammer, axe, and hatchet handles, which

are
nearly always made from hickory due to its extremely high shock

resistance.
======================
Doug,
Baseball bats are usually made from ash, but my dad turned me one from
hickory when I was in grade school. Great bat! Had a lot more weight out at
the end. After learning to use it, it was the favorite of several of the
neighbors kids.

"Had a lot more weight out at the end." Yeah, I bet it did!! That's the main
reason hickory isn't used much for ball bats. Mechanically, it's better suited
than ash for that purpose, but it's awful heavy.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com