Barry N. Turner

Default A 'not so strange' occurance?

And you've learned why they never make whiskey barrels from Red
Oak...................they leak.

Barry

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.com...
In article , "Kevin"

wrote:
Thanks Doug. And one more question. I have a hedge clipper with a

broken
handle. Oak would be good for the replacement?

Tool handles of nearly all sorts [1] are traditionally made from ash.

Oak
would work, but ash is a better choice for several reasons. It has a

much
better strength-to-weight ratio than oak, or indeed most other domestic

woods.
It's easier to turn. And it's cheaper, too. (Except when compared to

free red
oak, of course.)

Unfortunately for the recipient of said free wood, red oak is

particularly
ill-suited for use in any outdoor application. I believe you've already
learned about its porosity. :-) It will soak up water even more readily

than
it soaks up oil; this makes it much more likely than ash to warp, split,

rot,
or all three.

[1] The principal exceptions are hammer, axe, and hatchet handles, which

are
nearly always made from hickory due to its extremely high shock

resistance.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com