Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Kevin

Default A 'not so strange' occurance?

A friend of the wife's recently gave me some free wood. Not sure what it is
but have a posted a pic of the wood on ABPW. Last night I finished up a
bowl. Not all that elaborate of a piece but I am still learning. I sanded
to 220 and then burnished with shavings from the bowl itself. As a finish I
poured into the bowl less than a 1/4 cup of Watco Danish natural. I then
started to kind of tilt the bowl around to get the entire inside coated.
After it was soaked my intent was to wipe it out and use the rag on the
outside. Well I had been tilting the bowl around for maybe a minute or so
and noticed that the oil was going right through the walls. Within 3-5
minutes there was no difference twixt the inside or out in terms of oil
coverage. The walls are close to a quarter inch give or take a bit.
Nowas to the id of the wood, I do have a couple more picks, one is a
cross-cut (radial) pic showing the rings. The chips/shavings readliy rust
the ways of the lathe and the foot of the bowl tends to react with the chuck
jaws staining the foot black. Any help on an id is appreciated.
-Kevin