Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Which lathe would you choose?

In an Utopic situation where money, space and access were not issues, which
lathe would you choose? Assuming you would make a variety of thing ranging
from pens and related small spindles, bowls up to as much as 10 inches in
diameter, platters up to 12 inches in diameter, an occasional long spindle
(30 or so inches for table legs), hollow projects such as vases, humidors
and maybe even urns which lathe would be an all-around favorite. One-Way,
Jets models, Delta models, Vega, Vicmarc or others?

I have no ulterior motives here just curious what people would think.

Thanks and happy holidays to all and happy turning!

Tom in Howell, NJ

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 09:50:06 -0500, "Teejay"
wrote:

In an Utopic situation where money, space and access were not issues, which
lathe would you choose? Assuming you would make a variety of thing ranging
from pens and related small spindles, bowls up to as much as 10 inches in
diameter, platters up to 12 inches in diameter, an occasional long spindle
(30 or so inches for table legs), hollow projects such as vases, humidors
and maybe even urns which lathe would be an all-around favorite. One-Way,
Jets models, Delta models, Vega, Vicmarc or others?

I have no ulterior motives here just curious what people would think.

Thanks and happy holidays to all and happy turning!

Tom in Howell, NJ

If price and space weren't an issue I'd buy a Oneway 2436 lathe.

http://www.oneway.ca/index.php?optio...id=18&Itemid=2
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 12/19/2012 05:50 AM, Teejay wrote:
In an Utopic situation where money, space and access were not issues, which
lathe would you choose? Assuming you would make a variety of thing ranging
from pens and related small spindles, bowls up to as much as 10 inches in
diameter, platters up to 12 inches in diameter, an occasional long spindle
(30 or so inches for table legs), hollow projects such as vases, humidors
and maybe even urns which lathe would be an all-around favorite. One-Way,
Jets models, Delta models, Vega, Vicmarc or others?

I have no ulterior motives here just curious what people would think.

Thanks and happy holidays to all and happy turning!

Tom in Howell, NJ

I'd go w/a Stubby if I lived in Utopia. I am looking to buy a new lathe
though, as soon as I can sell my current one (Nova 2000, original
model). I can't afford the Stubby however, so my 2nd choice is a
Powermatic 3520B. It seems to have the most bang for the buck in the
big-iron category.

My $.02 worth...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Teejay wrote:
In an Utopic situation where money, space and access were not issues, which
lathe would you choose? Assuming you would make a variety of thing ranging
from pens and related small spindles, bowls up to as much as 10 inches in
diameter, platters up to 12 inches in diameter, an occasional long spindle
(30 or so inches for table legs), hollow projects such as vases, humidors
and maybe even urns which lathe would be an all-around favorite. One-Way,
Jets models, Delta models, Vega, Vicmarc or others?

I have no ulterior motives here just curious what people would think.

Thanks and happy holidays to all and happy turning!

Tom in Howell, NJ

I have used only three brands so far--HF monotube, Delta and Nova DVR
XP. Of these I prefer the Nova. It does everything I need and does
it well. It is a great improvement over the Chevy Nova that I once owned.

--
G.W. Ross

He who hesitates is constipated.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 09:50:06 -0500, Teejay wrote:

In an Utopic situation where money, space and access were not issues,
which lathe would you choose?

I know a couple of turners who have the big General lathe and are quite
happy with it. I've got a smaller version and after an initial problem
with the electronics (which they promptly fixed) it's been great.

carrying a cross.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 12/19/2012 6:50 AM, Teejay wrote:
In an Utopic situation where money, space and access were not issues, which
lathe would you choose? Assuming you would make a variety of thing ranging
from pens and related small spindles, bowls up to as much as 10 inches in
diameter, platters up to 12 inches in diameter, an occasional long spindle
(30 or so inches for table legs), hollow projects such as vases, humidors
and maybe even urns which lathe would be an all-around favorite. One-Way,
Jets models, Delta models, Vega, Vicmarc or others?

I have no ulterior motives here just curious what people would think.

Thanks and happy holidays to all and happy turning!

Tom in Howell, NJ

I went through that process some time ago, decided to buy once and not
go through repeated upgrades - got a Stubby 1000 and I've been happy
since - small footprint, none of the false beauty of the Oneway, 44
inches swing between centers
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Teejay" wrote:

In an Utopic situation where money, space and access were not issues, which
lathe would you choose? Assuming you would make a variety of thing ranging
from pens and related small spindles, bowls up to as much as 10 inches in
diameter, platters up to 12 inches in diameter, an occasional long spindle
(30 or so inches for table legs), hollow projects such as vases, humidors
and maybe even urns which lathe would be an all-around favorite. One-Way,
Jets models, Delta models, Vega, Vicmarc or others?

I have no ulterior motives here just curious what people would think.

Thanks and happy holidays to all and happy turning!

Tom in Howell, NJ

If space was not an issue, the new PowerMatic 4424B wit the big bed
extension, the provides 8+ ft between centers

If space is an issue it would be the Robust American Beauty

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv