Silvan

Default Big taps?

I'd like to buy this, that, and the other, but money is tight. I'm thinking
of lots of things I could fashion some reasonable approximation of for
myself, if only I had some way to thread something to fit on my spindle.

I have a JET mini, so I guess that's 1"-8. I don't have a tap anywhere
close to that big, and I don't think I've ever seen one. Is it as simple
as finding a machine tools catalog or such online and buying a big tap?
Can you actually tap wood acceptably with a metal tap, or should I be
thinking along different lines? (Most of the gadgets I have in mind to
make, like a screw chuck, would be fashioned out of wood.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

AHilton

Just use a 1" - 8 tpi nut! While I've not ever found one of these at a
Lowes or Home Depot, I find them at all the ACE Hardware and semi-local
hardware stores.

What I do is take a block of wood (hard maple is my usual choice) about 1"
thick and turn it round. Then I turn a little recess about 1/2" deep in it
that the nut will fit into snuggly. I put the nut in there and use a good
glue (polyurethane is fine) to keep it there. NOTE: Don't get the glue in
the threads! It'll foam up but I just cut that away. Put that nut/wood on
your lathe and true up the face of the wood. For a glue chuck, I glue
another piece of wood (again about 1") onto that 1st piece of wood. This
wood is my waste block wood. I can do whatever I want to with that and just
replace it when needed. To make a screw chuck, I simply bore a hole in the
wood through the center of that nut and use a modified bolt. You can glue
it in or just leave it free spinning along with a lock-nut so it'll tighten
down good and not spin. You could make small faceplates or just whatever
you want with this arrangement. I think I paid under $2US for the nut. I
got this tip from a club member and it's worked great.

Yes, you can tap wood but it'll need to be a hard, tight-grained wood to
work at all. Personally, I wouldn't trust it but I know of several turners
that do and have for a long time.

- Andrew

"Silvan" wrote in message
I'd like to buy this, that, and the other, but money is tight. I'm

thinking
of lots of things I could fashion some reasonable approximation of for
myself, if only I had some way to thread something to fit on my spindle.

I have a JET mini, so I guess that's 1"-8. I don't have a tap anywhere
close to that big, and I don't think I've ever seen one. Is it as simple
as finding a machine tools catalog or such online and buying a big tap?
Can you actually tap wood acceptably with a metal tap, or should I be
thinking along different lines? (Most of the gadgets I have in mind to
make, like a screw chuck, would be fashioned out of wood.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Leo Lichtman

AHilton wrote: Just use a 1" - 8 tpi nut! (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^
I do that a lot, using epoxy to hold it. You can make wooden faceplates,
vacuum chucks and jam chucks. I usually start with a hefty piece of wood,
and keep turning it to suit individual projects. When it starts to get
thin, I just add another slab of waste wood with Elmer's glue. And I have a
few different shapes lying around, so I always reach for the one which
requires the least modification.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Silvan wrote: (clip) Can you actually tap wood acceptably with a metal tap
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
You can, but, as Andrew says, it works best in hard wood. Some time ago I
was the successful bidder on a lot of 1" x 8TPI taps, and if you had been
around at that time, I would have gladly sent you one. Now, I have only one
left, which I am keeping it.

DJ Delorie

No experience with these folks, but I have them bookmarked since
they're one of the few that offer 1x12 taps:

http://www.hhip.com/products/product...ctID=1011-6002
Ken Moon

HI,
If you have an industrial fastener outlet near you, you can buy a 1" X 8 TPI
grade 8 bolt and cut triangular reliefs at several places around the end so
that it cuts like a tap. It can be used on hard woods, aluminum and copper.
Since it already has a hex head, it makes operation with a ratchet or box
end wrench easy. You should be able to get a short one for a couple of
bucks. This should take you through occasional use. If you expect to do a
lot of this, you may want to go ahead and spring for the tap and have the
hardened cutter that should last a life time threading wood, unless you work
some of the high silica woods like mesquite. For a good selection of taps
you can try places like MSC.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

"Silvan" wrote in message
I'd like to buy this, that, and the other, but money is tight. I'm

thinking
of lots of things I could fashion some reasonable approximation of for
myself, if only I had some way to thread something to fit on my spindle.

I have a JET mini, so I guess that's 1"-8. I don't have a tap anywhere
close to that big, and I don't think I've ever seen one. Is it as

simple
as finding a machine tools catalog or such online and buying a big tap?
Can you actually tap wood acceptably with a metal tap, or should I be
thinking along different lines? (Most of the gadgets I have in mind to
make, like a screw chuck, would be fashioned out of wood.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Juergen

Try Ebay. I just got two 1 1/4"-8 taps. They cost me $3 and $9 +
shipping. You just have to be patient and spend some time going through
the searches.

I prefer the Tap approach. I've gone the route of making face plates
with nuts, however, I had to have a friend cut an internal recess in the
nut so it would seat tightly on the spindle flange.

Juergen

Silvan wrote:

I'd like to buy this, that, and the other, but money is tight. I'm thinking
of lots of things I could fashion some reasonable approximation of for
myself, if only I had some way to thread something to fit on my spindle.

I have a JET mini, so I guess that's 1"-8. I don't have a tap anywhere
close to that big, and I don't think I've ever seen one. Is it as simple
as finding a machine tools catalog or such online and buying a big tap?
Can you actually tap wood acceptably with a metal tap, or should I be
thinking along different lines? (Most of the gadgets I have in mind to
make, like a screw chuck, would be fashioned out of wood.)

Peter Teubel

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 06:39:29 GMT, Juergen wrote:

Try Ebay. I just got two 1 1/4"-8 taps. They cost me $3 and $9 +
shipping. You just have to be patient and spend some time going through
the searches.

What were the auction numbers for those? I'd like to see how they were listed so I can develop a search myself. Thanks!

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com
Darrell Feltmate

Michael
Try my web site under "Make a Wood Glue Block" for instructions on how I
do this very thing.

http://roundthewoods.com/gblock.shtml

Enco has the taps you need.

http://www.use-enco.com

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Mike S.

Peter Teubel wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 06:39:29 GMT, Juergen wrote:

Try Ebay. I just got two 1 1/4"-8 taps. They cost me $3 and $9 +
shipping. You just have to be patient and spend some time going through
the searches.

What were the auction numbers for those? I'd like to see how they were listed so I can develop a search myself. Thanks!

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

delurking for a sec
Well, here's two separate auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2588300733
1" x 8 bottoming tap (this is what I have and it works extremely well)

and
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2589190648
1" x 8 plug tap

When I did my search, I looked in the Business & Industrial
Metalworking Cutting Tools, Consumables Taps category and found them
there.

You do need to use a fairly good hardwood for the threads to hold
decently. Poplar works ok, I'm sure Maple would be great (I've got a
stack of 3" wide Goncalo Alves boards that taps like a dream), anything
softer than Poplar just shreds. Make sure the grain is perpendicular to
the lathe bed though, I haven't had much luck trying it the other way.

- Mike
--
Natharias at lycos dot com
Peter Teubel

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:16:05 GMT, "Mike S." wrote:

Peter Teubel wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 06:39:29 GMT, Juergen wrote:

Try Ebay. I just got two 1 1/4"-8 taps. They cost me $3 and $9 +
shipping. You just have to be patient and spend some time going through
the searches.

What were the auction numbers for those? I'd like to see how they were listed so I can develop a search myself. Thanks!

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

delurking for a sec
Well, here's two separate auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2588300733
1" x 8 bottoming tap (this is what I have and it works extremely well)

and
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2589190648
1" x 8 plug tap

Thanks, but I have lots of 1"x8TPI taps. Its the 1.25x8 that I need. And I was wondering how they were listed (i.e. key words,
etc.)

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

Mike S.

Peter Teubel wrote:

[...]

Yes, but Silvan was looking for the 1x8's. I didn't see 1.25" listed,
but the way I found those was by going to the category (Business &
Industrial Metalworking Cutting Tools, Consumables Taps) and doing
a search on the number 8. Brought up a lot of unrelated taps, but the
results were less than a page long.

Doing a search on 1 ("1 4",8) (tap,taps) (everything between the
's)

in the Business & Industrial category brought up 2 pages with a
selection of 1 1/4" taps (Ebay makes these kinds of searches difficult
cause you can't do a search with a slash in it), but none in 8 TPI. A
bunch in 12 TPI and 7 TPI, but not 8.

possible search terms would include: 8, 1.25, "1 4", "1 1 4", "11 4",
tap, taps in whatever combination nets the most signal with the less
noise. (it's a little wierd, but doing a search for "11 4" will bring up
anything that reads 11/4, "1 1 4" - 1 1/4, "1 4" - 1/4)

- Mike
Maxprop

"Silvan" wrote in message

I'd like to buy this, that, and the other, but money is tight. I'm

thinking
of lots of things I could fashion some reasonable approximation of for
myself, if only I had some way to thread something to fit on my spindle.

I have a JET mini, so I guess that's 1"-8. I don't have a tap anywhere
close to that big, and I don't think I've ever seen one. Is it as simple
as finding a machine tools catalog or such online and buying a big tap?
Can you actually tap wood acceptably with a metal tap, or should I be
thinking along different lines? (Most of the gadgets I have in mind to
make, like a screw chuck, would be fashioned out of wood.)

Grizzly has threaded inserts to fit just about any spindle. One for your 1"
x 8 RH is $6.95, and has three holes through which you could bolt or screw
just about anything.

Max

billh

wrote:

[...]

I found mine 1.25x8 by searching on the size and it was listed as Machinists
tap. Probably just lucky that I found it. It was a bottoming or plug tap
which is fine for wood but if I had bought it for metal I would have been up
the creek without a taper tap to use first - never dawned on me to check
what style it was. You are probably aware that 1.25x8 is not a the standard
nut and bolt thread - I think 1.25x7 is the standard coarse and 1.25x12 is
the standard fine. Seems that a lot of machines use the 1.25x8 so it is not
exactly a real odd-ball. I believe the word "specialty" was used in the
description.
Billh

Juergen

Peter

I used the 1 1/4-8 and restricted the search to business and industrial.
Then I forced Ebay to display pictures and just browsed through the
listings.

Good Luck

Juergen

Old bath taps Mary Fisher UK diy 14 December 11th 03 10:35 PM
Problem with a mixer shower taps jay UK diy 2 November 11th 03 02:21 AM
Help! Insufficient head for modern taps grrrrr :@ [UK]CuteSpunkyLad UK diy 6 September 3rd 03 10:01 AM
Taps on basin keep moving John Stumbles UK diy 1 August 12th 03 08:42 AM