DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Big taps? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/35002-big-taps.html)

Silvan January 16th 04 04:09 AM

Big taps?

I'd like to buy this, that, and the other, but money is tight. I'm thinking
of lots of things I could fashion some reasonable approximation of for
myself, if only I had some way to thread something to fit on my spindle.

I have a JET mini, so I guess that's 1"-8. I don't have a tap anywhere
close to that big, and I don't think I've ever seen one. Is it as simple
as finding a machine tools catalog or such online and buying a big tap?
Can you actually tap wood acceptably with a metal tap, or should I be
thinking along different lines? (Most of the gadgets I have in mind to
make, like a screw chuck, would be fashioned out of wood.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

AHilton January 16th 04 04:37 AM

Big taps?

Just use a 1" - 8 tpi nut! While I've not ever found one of these at a
Lowes or Home Depot, I find them at all the ACE Hardware and semi-local
hardware stores.

What I do is take a block of wood (hard maple is my usual choice) about 1"
thick and turn it round. Then I turn a little recess about 1/2" deep in it
that the nut will fit into snuggly. I put the nut in there and use a good
glue (polyurethane is fine) to keep it there. NOTE: Don't get the glue in
the threads! It'll foam up but I just cut that away. Put that nut/wood on
your lathe and true up the face of the wood. For a glue chuck, I glue
another piece of wood (again about 1") onto that 1st piece of wood. This
wood is my waste block wood. I can do whatever I want to with that and just
replace it when needed. To make a screw chuck, I simply bore a hole in the
wood through the center of that nut and use a modified bolt. You can glue
it in or just leave it free spinning along with a lock-nut so it'll tighten
down good and not spin. You could make small faceplates or just whatever
you want with this arrangement. I think I paid under $2US for the nut. I
got this tip from a club member and it's worked great.

Yes, you can tap wood but it'll need to be a hard, tight-grained wood to
work at all. Personally, I wouldn't trust it but I know of several turners
that do and have for a long time.

- Andrew

Leo Lichtman January 16th 04 05:06 AM

Big taps?

AHilton wrote: Just use a 1" - 8 tpi nut! (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^
I do that a lot, using epoxy to hold it. You can make wooden faceplates,
vacuum chucks and jam chucks. I usually start with a hefty piece of wood,
and keep turning it to suit individual projects. When it starts to get
thin, I just add another slab of waste wood with Elmer's glue. And I have a
few different shapes lying around, so I always reach for the one which
requires the least modification.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Silvan wrote: (clip) Can you actually tap wood acceptably with a metal tap
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
You can, but, as Andrew says, it works best in hard wood. Some time ago I
was the successful bidder on a lot of 1" x 8TPI taps, and if you had been
around at that time, I would have gladly sent you one. Now, I have only one
left, which I am keeping it.

DJ Delorie January 16th 04 05:07 AM

Big taps?

No experience with these folks, but I have them bookmarked since
they're one of the few that offer 1x12 taps:

http://www.hhip.com/products/product...ctID=1011-6002

Ken Moon January 16th 04 05:58 AM

Big taps?

HI,
If you have an industrial fastener outlet near you, you can buy a 1" X 8 TPI
grade 8 bolt and cut triangular reliefs at several places around the end so
that it cuts like a tap. It can be used on hard woods, aluminum and copper.
Since it already has a hex head, it makes operation with a ratchet or box
end wrench easy. You should be able to get a short one for a couple of
bucks. This should take you through occasional use. If you expect to do a
lot of this, you may want to go ahead and spring for the tap and have the
hardened cutter that should last a life time threading wood, unless you work
some of the high silica woods like mesquite. For a good selection of taps
you can try places like MSC.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Juergen January 16th 04 06:39 AM

Big taps?

Try Ebay. I just got two 1 1/4"-8 taps. They cost me $3 and $9 +
shipping. You just have to be patient and spend some time going through
the searches.

I prefer the Tap approach. I've gone the route of making face plates
with nuts, however, I had to have a friend cut an internal recess in the
nut so it would seat tightly on the spindle flange.

Juergen

Peter Teubel January 16th 04 12:45 PM

Big taps?

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 06:39:29 GMT, Juergen wrote:

Try Ebay. I just got two 1 1/4"-8 taps. They cost me $3 and $9 +
shipping. You just have to be patient and spend some time going through
the searches.

What were the auction numbers for those? I'd like to see how they were listed so I can develop a search myself. Thanks!

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

Darrell Feltmate January 16th 04 12:54 PM

Big taps?

Michael
Try my web site under "Make a Wood Glue Block" for instructions on how I
do this very thing.

http://roundthewoods.com/gblock.shtml

Enco has the taps you need.

http://www.use-enco.com

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Mike S. January 16th 04 02:16 PM

Big taps?

Peter Teubel wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 06:39:29 GMT, Juergen wrote:

Try Ebay. I just got two 1 1/4"-8 taps. They cost me $3 and $9 +
shipping. You just have to be patient and spend some time going through
the searches.

What were the auction numbers for those? I'd like to see how they were listed so I can develop a search myself. Thanks!

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

delurking for a sec
Well, here's two separate auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2588300733
1" x 8 bottoming tap (this is what I have and it works extremely well)

and
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2589190648
1" x 8 plug tap

When I did my search, I looked in the Business & Industrial
Metalworking Cutting Tools, Consumables Taps category and found them
there.

You do need to use a fairly good hardwood for the threads to hold
decently. Poplar works ok, I'm sure Maple would be great (I've got a
stack of 3" wide Goncalo Alves boards that taps like a dream), anything
softer than Poplar just shreds. Make sure the grain is perpendicular to
the lathe bed though, I haven't had much luck trying it the other way.

- Mike
--
Natharias at lycos dot com

Peter Teubel January 16th 04 03:55 PM

Big taps?

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:16:05 GMT, "Mike S." wrote:

Peter Teubel wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 06:39:29 GMT, Juergen wrote:

Try Ebay. I just got two 1 1/4"-8 taps. They cost me $3 and $9 +
shipping. You just have to be patient and spend some time going through
the searches.

What were the auction numbers for those? I'd like to see how they were listed so I can develop a search myself. Thanks!

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

delurking for a sec
Well, here's two separate auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2588300733
1" x 8 bottoming tap (this is what I have and it works extremely well)

and
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2589190648
1" x 8 plug tap

Thanks, but I have lots of 1"x8TPI taps. Its the 1.25x8 that I need. And I was wondering how they were listed (i.e. key words,
etc.)

Mike S. January 16th 04 06:30 PM

Big taps?

Peter Teubel wrote:

[...]

Yes, but Silvan was looking for the 1x8's. I didn't see 1.25" listed,
but the way I found those was by going to the category (Business &
Industrial Metalworking Cutting Tools, Consumables Taps) and doing
a search on the number 8. Brought up a lot of unrelated taps, but the
results were less than a page long.

Doing a search on 1 ("1 4",8) (tap,taps) (everything between the
's)

in the Business & Industrial category brought up 2 pages with a
selection of 1 1/4" taps (Ebay makes these kinds of searches difficult
cause you can't do a search with a slash in it), but none in 8 TPI. A
bunch in 12 TPI and 7 TPI, but not 8.

possible search terms would include: 8, 1.25, "1 4", "1 1 4", "11 4",
tap, taps in whatever combination nets the most signal with the less
noise. (it's a little wierd, but doing a search for "11 4" will bring up
anything that reads 11/4, "1 1 4" - 1 1/4, "1 4" - 1/4)

- Mike

Maxprop January 16th 04 11:08 PM

Big taps?

"Silvan" wrote in message

I'd like to buy this, that, and the other, but money is tight. I'm

thinking
of lots of things I could fashion some reasonable approximation of for
myself, if only I had some way to thread something to fit on my spindle.

I have a JET mini, so I guess that's 1"-8. I don't have a tap anywhere
close to that big, and I don't think I've ever seen one. Is it as simple
as finding a machine tools catalog or such online and buying a big tap?
Can you actually tap wood acceptably with a metal tap, or should I be
thinking along different lines? (Most of the gadgets I have in mind to
make, like a screw chuck, would be fashioned out of wood.)

Grizzly has threaded inserts to fit just about any spindle. One for your 1"
x 8 RH is $6.95, and has three holes through which you could bolt or screw
just about anything.

Max

billh January 17th 04 12:06 AM

Big taps?

wrote:

[...]

I found mine 1.25x8 by searching on the size and it was listed as Machinists
tap. Probably just lucky that I found it. It was a bottoming or plug tap
which is fine for wood but if I had bought it for metal I would have been up
the creek without a taper tap to use first - never dawned on me to check
what style it was. You are probably aware that 1.25x8 is not a the standard
nut and bolt thread - I think 1.25x7 is the standard coarse and 1.25x12 is
the standard fine. Seems that a lot of machines use the 1.25x8 so it is not
exactly a real odd-ball. I believe the word "specialty" was used in the
description.
Billh

Juergen January 17th 04 04:36 AM

Big taps?

Peter

I used the 1 1/4-8 and restricted the search to business and industrial.
Then I forced Ebay to display pictures and just browsed through the
listings.

Good Luck

Juergen