Mike S.

Default Big taps?

Peter Teubel wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 06:39:29 GMT, Juergen wrote:

Try Ebay. I just got two 1 1/4"-8 taps. They cost me $3 and $9 +
shipping. You just have to be patient and spend some time going through
the searches.

What were the auction numbers for those? I'd like to see how they were listed so I can develop a search myself. Thanks!

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

delurking for a sec
Well, here's two separate auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2588300733
1" x 8 bottoming tap (this is what I have and it works extremely well)

and
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2589190648
1" x 8 plug tap

When I did my search, I looked in the Business & Industrial
Metalworking Cutting Tools, Consumables Taps category and found them
there.

You do need to use a fairly good hardwood for the threads to hold
decently. Poplar works ok, I'm sure Maple would be great (I've got a
stack of 3" wide Goncalo Alves boards that taps like a dream), anything
softer than Poplar just shreds. Make sure the grain is perpendicular to
the lathe bed though, I haven't had much luck trying it the other way.

- Mike
--
Natharias at lycos dot com