Leo Lichtman

Default Big taps?

AHilton wrote: Just use a 1" - 8 tpi nut! (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^
I do that a lot, using epoxy to hold it. You can make wooden faceplates,
vacuum chucks and jam chucks. I usually start with a hefty piece of wood,
and keep turning it to suit individual projects. When it starts to get
thin, I just add another slab of waste wood with Elmer's glue. And I have a
few different shapes lying around, so I always reach for the one which
requires the least modification.
Silvan wrote: (clip) Can you actually tap wood acceptably with a metal tap
(clip)
You can, but, as Andrew says, it works best in hard wood. Some time ago I
was the successful bidder on a lot of 1" x 8TPI taps, and if you had been
around at that time, I would have gladly sent you one. Now, I have only one
left, which I am keeping it.