D. J. Dorn

Default Just getting started and read the books

I have a new Jet Mini and a few kits and turning tools and am basically
ready to try this out. I have sat down and read two different books and
think I have the basics but I still have a few questions if its alright.

First, squaring the ends of the blanks, can I get this done effectively with
my sanding station or do I need to buy a barrel trimming tool for the drill
press? Second, I didn't find anything that says approximately what speeds
the different operations require. I'm only assuming that you start off with
the slowest speed until you get a cylinder? Lastly, I have one mandrel with
five bushings - I'm assuming it's 7mm but it doesn't say - do I need more
mandrels? Thanks for any input.

Don

Peter Teubel

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 19:22:56 -0600, "D. J. Dorn" wrote:
First, squaring the ends of the blanks, can I get this done effectively with
my sanding station or do I need to buy a barrel trimming tool for the drill
press?

Not really. You need to square the ends of the blank to the BRASS TUBE. Using a sander, you are only squaring the blank to the
sides. The pen mill squares the blank to the tube regardless of the shape of the blank.

Second, I didn't find anything that says approximately what speeds
the different operations require. I'm only assuming that you start off with
the slowest speed until you get a cylinder?

The work is small and captured between centers. Personally, I turn at the fastest speed possible right from the start and olny
slow down when sanding.

Lastly, I have one mandrel with
five bushings - I'm assuming it's 7mm but it doesn't say - do I need more
mandrels? Thanks for any input.

No. The mandrel will fit all pen kits. It the BUSHINGS that vary in size.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com
Ken Moon

wrote:
Lastly, I have one mandrel with
five bushings - I'm assuming it's 7mm but it doesn't say - do I need more
mandrels? Thanks for any input.

No. The mandrel will fit all pen kits. It the BUSHINGS that vary in size.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

Peter,
There are some pen kits that use different size mandrels. I know there are 8
and 10 mm mandrels and bushings for the larger diameter pens. Most of those,
if ordered from catalogs, are properly described with the correct mandrels
and bushings listed for each kit. If you're buying in the store, you may be
pretty much on your own.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Peter Teubel

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:51:08 GMT, "Ken Moon" wrote:

.. .

************************************************* ****
Peter,
There are some pen kits that use different size mandrels. I know there are 8
and 10 mm mandrels and bushings for the larger diameter pens. Most of those,
if ordered from catalogs, are properly described with the correct mandrels
and bushings listed for each kit. If you're buying in the store, you may be
pretty much on your own.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Hmmm. That's interesting. I know that all the kits at Woodcraft use the standard 7mm mandrel.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

Ok, so how much more do I need to get started making real wood projects Bob Davis Woodworking 47 March 26th 04 12:22 PM
OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 07:38 PM
OT=Sea Changes in the Media Gunner Metalworking 47 November 20th 03 01:27 PM