Peter Teubel

Default Just getting started and read the books

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 19:22:56 -0600, "D. J. Dorn" wrote:
First, squaring the ends of the blanks, can I get this done effectively with
my sanding station or do I need to buy a barrel trimming tool for the drill
press?

Not really. You need to square the ends of the blank to the BRASS TUBE. Using a sander, you are only squaring the blank to the
sides. The pen mill squares the blank to the tube regardless of the shape of the blank.

Second, I didn't find anything that says approximately what speeds
the different operations require. I'm only assuming that you start off with
the slowest speed until you get a cylinder?

The work is small and captured between centers. Personally, I turn at the fastest speed possible right from the start and olny
slow down when sanding.

Lastly, I have one mandrel with
five bushings - I'm assuming it's 7mm but it doesn't say - do I need more
mandrels? Thanks for any input.

No. The mandrel will fit all pen kits. It the BUSHINGS that vary in size.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com