D. J. Dorn

Default Just getting started and read the books

I have a new Jet Mini and a few kits and turning tools and am basically
ready to try this out. I have sat down and read two different books and
think I have the basics but I still have a few questions if its alright.

First, squaring the ends of the blanks, can I get this done effectively with
my sanding station or do I need to buy a barrel trimming tool for the drill
press? Second, I didn't find anything that says approximately what speeds
the different operations require. I'm only assuming that you start off with
the slowest speed until you get a cylinder? Lastly, I have one mandrel with
five bushings - I'm assuming it's 7mm but it doesn't say - do I need more
mandrels? Thanks for any input.

Don