Go NY Giants They Stink, Go Anyway!!

Default Best Way To Remove Bowl????

I have turned my first bowl and would appreciate advice on how to remove
it from the wooden block it's glued to. I mounted a wood block on my
face plate, and using tightbond glue, attached my blank to it with a
brown paper bag between the block and the blank. Being it's my first
bowl, I dont want to mess it up now, especially because it came out
quite well. Will a good tug free it or should I use my parting tool to
seperate it?? If I do use the parting tool should I remove the
slightest amount of the bowl bottom, or leave the slightest amount of
the block on the bowl and some how sand the block off???? Your advice
is greatly appreciated.

STEMO

Ken Bullock

I use a parting tool, part in a bit, stop the lathe, give the bowl a tap and
repeat as needed.... As, for doing the bottoms, you can do it by hand or use
a chuck of some sort.

You can buy or make a chuck, depending on your budget and the amount of
turning you plan on doing...... The bottom line is to, Practice and have fun
with it..... Ken......

--
Ken & Debbie Bullock

My EBay Sto
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/oneofakinddecalsandstickers.

Woodturning videos at:
http://www.oneofakindwoodturnings.com
SKP # 82323

"Go NY Giants They Stink, Go Anyway!!" wrote in message
I have turned my first bowl and would appreciate advice on how to remove
it from the wooden block it's glued to. I mounted a wood block on my
face plate, and using tightbond glue, attached my blank to it with a
brown paper bag between the block and the blank. Being it's my first
bowl, I dont want to mess it up now, especially because it came out
quite well. Will a good tug free it or should I use my parting tool to
seperate it?? If I do use the parting tool should I remove the
slightest amount of the bowl bottom, or leave the slightest amount of
the block on the bowl and some how sand the block off???? Your advice
is greatly appreciated.

STEMO

Travis Mahone

Hi Stemo
When I have to remove a glue block, I usually saw it off with a Japanese
pull saw. I picked up the saw at Lowes for abouth $18. It has a fairly
long blade and coarse teeth on one side and fine on the other. Leave just
a little of the glue block and then smooth it up with a block plane and
sand.
Travis
"Go NY Giants They Stink, Go Anyway!!" wrote in message
I have turned my first bowl and would appreciate advice on how to remove
it from the wooden block it's glued to. I mounted a wood block on my
face plate, and using tightbond glue, attached my blank to it with a
brown paper bag between the block and the blank. Being it's my first
bowl, I dont want to mess it up now, especially because it came out
quite well. Will a good tug free it or should I use my parting tool to
seperate it?? If I do use the parting tool should I remove the
slightest amount of the bowl bottom, or leave the slightest amount of
the block on the bowl and some how sand the block off???? Your advice
is greatly appreciated.

STEMO

john

Hi,
There are a lot of different approaches to removing glue blocks from
the bottoms of bowls.
personally i use hot melt glue when using a glue block but i have also
tried out using different wood glues too. i suggest that you part on
the glue line at a fairly low speed down to a tennon of around 1 1/2"
inches ( depending on how large the bowl is), removing a slight bit of
the bottom of the bowl, and then cut through the rest of it wit a thin
bladed saw( hacksaw or similar) and then sand using a circular sanding
disc on your lathe or hand sand it, and finish it using whatever oil
or finish you have on the rest of the bowl.

Hope this made sense.

John

Gerald Ross

First, I have never used glue so can't help you on this one. I have
always used double sided foam mounting tape (3M) and it releases with a
slow pull. I tried a cheaper tape from WalMart and it still holds the
same, but rips apart on removal so it is harder to remove from the block
and the bowl. The green plaid tape will pull off in one piece.

"Go NY Giants They Stink, Go Anyway!!" wrote:

I have turned my first bowl and would appreciate advice on how to remove
it from the wooden block it's glued to. I mounted a wood block on my
face plate, and using tightbond glue, attached my blank to it with a
brown paper bag between the block and the blank. Being it's my first
bowl, I dont want to mess it up now, especially because it came out
quite well. Will a good tug free it or should I use my parting tool to
seperate it?? If I do use the parting tool should I remove the
slightest amount of the bowl bottom, or leave the slightest amount of
the block on the bowl and some how sand the block off???? Your advice
is greatly appreciated.

STEMO

--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
I've got nothing to say -- don't make
me say it twice.

Martin Rost

Hi Gerald,
I have used double sided tape with good results, but I've always used the
thin stuff. I'm just wondering, the foam tape doesn't give or move while
turning? By give I'm thinking small amount maybe 1/64". What size bowls do
you mount this way?
Martin

Gerald Ross wrote in message
[...]

Gerald Ross

8 or 10 inches. I can't detect any movement. My mounting blocks have a
smaller block glued on so they fit in my chuck. I have a hole drilled in
the center so I can center the block on a mark on the piece to be
turned. I did a lot of coasters for the family last Christmas.

Martin Rost wrote:

[...]

Kevin Neelley

Stemo,

I would use a sharp chisel, with the flat side facing your bowl so the bowl base
isn't damaged. Tap the chisel into the joint at several locations until the
bagged joint separates. You should put something under the bowl so it doesn't
fall onto your lathebed (or floor) and get damaged. Sand off the bag and
remaining glue or reverse turn the bowl.

Kevin
www.turnedwood.com

In article , Go NY
Giants They Stink, Go Anyway!! says...

I have turned my first bowl and would appreciate advice on how to remove
it from the wooden block it's glued to. I mounted a wood block on my
face plate, and using tightbond glue, attached my blank to it with a
brown paper bag between the block and the blank. Being it's my first
bowl, I dont want to mess it up now, especially because it came out
quite well. Will a good tug free it or should I use my parting tool to
seperate it?? If I do use the parting tool should I remove the
slightest amount of the bowl bottom, or leave the slightest amount of
the block on the bowl and some how sand the block off???? Your advice
is greatly appreciated.

STEMO

Marshall Gorrow

For removing the bowl from a "paper joint", I have a stiff putty knife that
has a double bevel ground on the end. Just line it up on the paper and give
it a good wack with a carver's mallet. Wide bench chisels can be used but
the slingle bevel will sometimes cause it to "dig in" if you are not
careful. Scrape the paper and glue away with a cabinet scraper or reverse it
in a compression chuck or vacuum chuck and turn the base. Glue and paper
will load sandpaper very quickly.

--
Marshall Gorrow
Hogansburg, NY USA
"Go NY Giants They Stink, Go Anyway!!" wrote in message
I have turned my first bowl and would appreciate advice on how to remove
it from the wooden block it's glued to. I mounted a wood block on my
face plate, and using tightbond glue, attached my blank to it with a
brown paper bag between the block and the blank. Being it's my first
bowl, I dont want to mess it up now, especially because it came out
quite well. Will a good tug free it or should I use my parting tool to
seperate it?? If I do use the parting tool should I remove the
slightest amount of the bowl bottom, or leave the slightest amount of
the block on the bowl and some how sand the block off???? Your advice
is greatly appreciated.

STEMO

Arch

Hi Stemo, glad your bowl turned out well.
As for the bag paper, it's useful to use for 2000 grit sandpaper, but
like spats, bustles and dead tail centers, IMHO, its time has mostly
passed, except to read about in old books. Although I think glue blocks
are still very useful, interposing paper seems unnecessary with today's
glues and parting tools. I wonder why you, and it seems many others put
paper between the join. Somebody correct me. Arch

Fortiter,

George

Inch and a half chisel my choice, used as Kevin says, so the compression
damage is _only_ in the waste. Symmetrical stuff like putty knives will
work, but sometimes leaves marks on the piece as well.

I try to avoid such things by parting nearly off and making a slight
concavity in the base of the piece, which is the best way to have it sit
flat. Be reasonably generous in what you leave, depending on attachment
method, and finish - power off - with a saw. The nub you leave behind can
be whittled away quickly with a curved knife and blended with sandpaper.

"Kevin Neelley" wrote in message
[...]

Arch

Stemo, my two remaining grey cells kicked in and I do recall making a
'front & back turned, half moon shaped' piece by cutting a platter in
half and gluing the backs together. I used a paper joint when making the
platter so that later when gluing the two halves together I kept the
loss of wood at the join as small as possible. Anyway, who cares?
Arch

Fortiter,

David Walthall

I also use a chisel to remove it. The first few times I did it, I
completely saturated a thin paper bag with glue to glue it up. (I
think that I used a lunch bag.) I was unable to get it to fall apart
on the glue line, and had to chisel away the wooden block one bit at
at time.

I switched to thicker brown bags (the thickest grocery bags I could
find) and used less glue. It came apart in a couple of whacks, right
along the glue line.

David

On 13 Nov 2003 19:15:19 -0800, Kevin Neelley wrote:
[...]

Default It Popped Right Off!!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I tried the double beveled putty knife
method and with a rocking gentle pushing motion, the thick brown grocery
bag split right down the middle with no damage to the bowl or the
mounting block. I used a scraper to remove the bag and glue from the
bowl and sanded what little glue was left. The bottom is perfect and my
first bowl lives!!!! Thanks again

STEMO