Lynne

Default running a business as an artist

I'm a woodturner in Tucson, Arizona, who is just starting out with
creating my business, and I'm hoping some of you can offer some
advice. I will be operating as a sole proprietorship, but I'm
wondering if I should operate only under my own name or also under a
registered business name ("doing business as"). Do vendors and banks
and such attach more legitimacy to businesses with a registered
business name? It seems to me that as an artist, I should be promoting
my own name, but at the same time, I want to appear as professional as
possible. This basic question is holding me up as far as applying for
a tax license and also setting up a web site--again, do I use my own
name or a business name or a more-generic identifier as a domain name?

Also, how do you begin approaching galleries without an established
track record? Should I have a complete portfolio, a bio, and such
prepared before I make first contact? I have designed business cards
and have created a rudimentary web site through my ISP.
(http://home.comcast.net/~myturn for anyone who's interested. I plan
to register a domain name and set up with another web host as soon as
I finalize my choice of a domain name.) I've also designed a card to
go with each vessel that identifies the wood the vessel is made of and
also has a personal statement and contact info (basically an expanded
business card). I've heard that some galleries prefer that customers
get no contact info for artists, however, so that the gallery won't
lose any sales. Should I remove such info from the card? Print two
versions? Wait till I see what individual galleries prefer?

What is the best way to approach galleries? Should I phone to make
appointments to show my work, or should I go in person, with samples
of my work, in case whoever makes such decisions is available on the
spot? Should I write with photos or slides of my work?

Any other thoughts on getting started?

Thanks, you all. I welcome any suggestions.

Nova

Lynne wrote:

I'm a woodturner in Tucson, Arizona, who is just starting out with
creating my business, and I'm hoping some of you can offer some
advice. I will be operating as a sole proprietorship, but I'm
wondering if I should operate only under my own name or also under a
registered business name ("doing business as"). Do vendors and banks
and such attach more legitimacy to businesses with a registered
business name?

snip

I don't think the vendors or the banks really care. The IRS and the state
tax department does care though. They want to see a clear distinction
between business and personal funds.

I suggest making an appointment with an accountant when you're ready to
open your business. The suggestions my accountant made ended up saving me
money, initially sent up my books and prevented a bunch of headaches.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

jim swank

Investigate an LLC (Limited Liability Company) or whatever Arizona
offers that is similar. It has many advantages. Consider a consult
with SBA or SCORE before making a final decision on the business form.

Jim

Lynne wrote:

[...]

D K Woods

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 20:42:23 -0500, jim swank wrote:

Investigate an LLC (Limited Liability Company) or whatever Arizona
offers that is similar. It has many advantages. Consider a consult
with SBA or SCORE before making a final decision on the business form.

Jim

Ditto! I started a software/web design business last year, and we went
with LLC, taxed as S-Corp. It's a HUGE benefit to us taxwise. My biggest
advice is, talk to an accountant. Lawyers are fine and dandy if you want
to create a big business with bulletproof paperwork, but we bypassed the
lawyer step altogether and registered the business ourself. We went to an
accountant who gave us all the information on the benefits of different
business setups. And, as the Secretary of State clerk commented, it's the
accountant who will be handling your finances, not the lawyer, and he'll
have a much better idea about it all.

david
--
It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have
learned English -- up to 50 words used in correct context -- no human being

Russ Fairfield

But, the banks do care!!

If a check is written to the business name, most banks will not accept it for
deposit into a personal account. If the account is in the business name, then
it will accept both because you will be the signature to that account.

Whoever handles business accounts at the bank can give you a copy of the form
to send to the Secretary of State, with a fee (usually $25 to $50), for
application to register the business name. Besides being a legal requirement
for doing business, it will protect you from the possibility of future
conflicts that could occur if you were using the same name as another business
in your state.

Russ Fairfield
Post Falls, Idaho
http:/www.woodturnerruss.com/
Nova

Russ Fairfield wrote:

But, the banks do care!!

If a check is written to the business name, most banks will not accept it for
deposit into a personal account. If the account is in the business name, then
it will accept both because you will be the signature to that account.

snip

If there were no business name there never would be a check written to a business
name.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
New Electrical Regs - Again PoP UK diy 169 October 22nd 03 11:34 PM
OT - NY Times economy article jim rozen Metalworking 74 September 15th 03 01:47 PM