Gud E.Tushus

Default running a business as an artist

In article ,
says...

Hie thee to thy library and do a bit of
research on business practices, would be
my advice. There is a very good book that
I recommend - you'll have to search Amazon.com
or Barnes & Noble web sites to see if it's
still in print and available:

THE BUSINESS OF ART, by Lee Caplin, published
in cooperation with the National Endowment
for the Arts (USA).

but I'm
wondering if I should operate only under my own name or also under a
registered business name ("doing business as")

That seems to me a purely personal choice.
I don't think it matters legally what you do.
You will be the one responsible for paying the
taxes. THE BUSINESS OF ART covers advice on
creating a "corporation" and other matters that
address tax advantages - or disadvantages.

I'm with Erik though when it comes to "making
a name for yourself" - getting your name out
there in any and every way you can. Compare the
difference between being known as "Lynne's Woodworks"
versus being known as "Lynne Yamaguchi, Wood Carver."