Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Drying Green Wood

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

In article ,
"James" wrote:

I left the walls at about 5/8" to 3/4" and the bottom about 1 1/2"
thick. The height is about 8" to 9" and it's about 9" across. It is

Just to pile on. The bottom is too thick

The theory for wet turning is the wall thickness should be about 10%
of the diameter, and the bottom should be a little thinner then the
walls

getting down to 10* to 20* at night here so freezing might be an
option. I could also put it in the chest freezer. My next move is to
buy a new roughing gouge as my old one had grab and broke at the
tang just when I had gotten it sharpened to where it was working
good. I welded it back together but I won't trust it now and I was
a welder forever and have a Heli-arc and know what I'm doing. I'll
use it for light duty stuff. I'm not sure what brand it was maybe a
Disson. I've had them since Jr. High and that was a long time ago.
A question on roughing gouges can a spindle roughing gouge be used
for bowls or should one get one of each? Jim

I think you have learned why NOT to do this (there are You-Tube
videos showing and explaining why not to do this)

One of the reasons I left the bottom as thick as it is because I don't
have a bowl gouge yet so I quit while I was ahead and had all my pieces
and parts of my body. :) Jim

Attic drying of green turnings [email protected] Woodturning 2 September 21st 08 07:23 AM
drying wood Phisherman Woodworking 2 December 15th 07 07:29 PM
Why does green wood dull tools faster than dry wood? Greg Lyman Woodturning 12 October 6th 07 10:38 PM
OK here goes all you could ever want to know about wood drying Tom Nie Woodturning 4 April 29th 06 02:18 PM
Drying Rough turned green bowls - Pentacryl Scott H. Woodturning 5 April 15th 04 01:06 PM