Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
James[_14_] James[_14_] is offline

Default Drying Green Wood

Bill wrote:

On 12/21/2011 11:50 AM, James wrote:
Hi Group, I just finished rough turning a pine bowl blank that's
very green up until now I've mostly worked with dry wood. The blank
is very wet, we're talking water and pitch, down South they would
probably call it grease wood. I've heard of various of drying,
brown paper sack, add sawdust and microwave oven. I'm new to drying
so any help would be appreciated such as to the best method,
storage and such. It's winter here right now and we're having high
30's during the day and 20's at night right now. I'm doing practice
turnings on my new to me Jet 1236. I've been away from turning
awhile. Thanks, Jim

nobody has said this so i will - put it outside so it freezes hard -
that will rupture the cell walls (with ice crystals) and reduce the
potential for distortion and cracking. to speed up the "processing"
you could bring it in for a day, then put it outside for a day -
repeat several times.

I tend to turn wet wood to final (thin) dimensions in one shot and
never come back to it, just sand and finish - you didn't say how
thick you left the walls - I often aim for 1/16th or so on "active"
wood like eucalyptus, and 1/8 to 3/16 on more stable woods

I left the walls at about 5/8" to 3/4" and the bottom about 1 1/2"
thick. The height is about 8" to 9" and it's about 9" across. It is
getting down to 10* to 20* at night here so freezing might be an
option. I could also put it in the chest freezer. My next move is to
buy a new roughing gouge as my old one had grab and broke at the tang
just when I had gotten it sharpened to where it was working good. I
welded it back together but I won't trust it now and I was a welder
forever and have a Heli-arc and know what I'm doing. I'll use it for
light duty stuff. I'm not sure what brand it was maybe a Disson. I've
had them since Jr. High and that was a long time ago. A question on
roughing gouges can a spindle roughing gouge be used for bowls or
should one get one of each? Jim