Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill[_42_] Bill[_42_] is offline

Default Drying Green Wood

On 12/21/2011 11:50 AM, James wrote:
Hi Group, I just finished rough turning a pine bowl blank that's very
green up until now I've mostly worked with dry wood. The blank is very
wet, we're talking water and pitch, down South they would probably call
it grease wood. I've heard of various of drying, brown paper sack, add
sawdust and microwave oven. I'm new to drying so any help would be
appreciated such as to the best method, storage and such. It's winter
here right now and we're having high 30's during the day and 20's at
night right now. I'm doing practice turnings on my new to me Jet 1236.
I've been away from turning awhile. Thanks, Jim

nobody has said this so i will - put it outside so it freezes hard -
that will rupture the cell walls (with ice crystals) and reduce the
potential for distortion and cracking. to speed up the "processing" you
could bring it in for a day, then put it outside for a day - repeat
several times.

I tend to turn wet wood to final (thin) dimensions in one shot and never
come back to it, just sand and finish - you didn't say how thick you
left the walls - I often aim for 1/16th or so on "active" wood like
eucalyptus, and 1/8 to 3/16 on more stable woods