Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Help on changing my (lathe) belt.

Ok, the time has come. My Jet 1442 has a frayed belt, and it's time
for new.

Who's done it before, and what did you learn, and will you share?

I'm leaning toward a link belt, primarily so that I don't have to
disassemble the power head. That looks formidible. Anyone got
reasons not to?

What's the best source for 3/8" wide link belt? Any suggestions
about tuning and adjustments needed after the replacement?

What else should I know before I break out the wrenches?

Thanks in advance.

Old Guy
Who let a piece of Osage orange get the better of him today.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Link belts are powerful and wear in - requiring a link or two to be removed.
That isn't an issue - but works.

I use them on my wood lathe and metal lathe. Both different sizes.

A number of suppliers - wood working and metal working sell the links.

Large suppliers sell box containing more than you need, but I got one
since no others sold short lengths. Now most do.

MSCdirect is just one.

Here is another :
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-b...G&group=MACACC

Nasty...long link...
home/machinery accessories / machine Parts & Acc....

Power Twist 3/8" belt drive do a part number search !!!

FD04050 Your Price: $ 9.95 [ The site doesn't mention length ]

Phone: 1-800-228-0000 | Fax: 1-800-872-2005

Hickory
856 21st. St. Dr. S.E.
Hickory, NC 28602
(828)326-WOOD
Fax: (828)327-4634
Store Hours: M-F 9-6 pm, Saturday 9-5 pm, Sunday 1-5 pm
3141 Capital Blvd
Suite 110
(0.9 miles from Beltline)

Raleigh, NC 27604
(919)876-0707
Fax: (919)876-0697
Store Hours: M-F 9-6 pm, Saturday 9-5 pm, Sunday 1-5 pm

Winston-Salem
532 Hanes Mall Blvd
(Pavilions Shopping Center)
Winston-Salem, NC 27103
(336) 768-WOOD
Fax: (336)768-4224
Store Hours: M-F 9-6 pm, Saturday 9-5 pm, Sunday 1-5 pm

The 1/2" wide belt part number is : FD40830

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 8/27/2010 7:31 PM, Old Guy wrote:
Ok, the time has come. My Jet 1442 has a frayed belt, and it's time
for new.

Who's done it before, and what did you learn, and will you share?

I'm leaning toward a link belt, primarily so that I don't have to
disassemble the power head. That looks formidible. Anyone got
reasons not to?

What's the best source for 3/8" wide link belt? Any suggestions
about tuning and adjustments needed after the replacement?

What else should I know before I break out the wrenches?

Thanks in advance.

Old Guy
Who let a piece of Osage orange get the better of him today.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 17:31:52 -0700 (PDT), Old Guy wrote:

I have a link belt on my 1442VS... same lathe?
Works fine, smoother and quieter than the Jet belt..
I remember looking at the manual for belt replacement and deciding that I wasn't
going to disassemble that much of the lathe just to change a belt..
I think I used a 3/8" link width, not sure as it's been 4 or 5 years..

Ok, the time has come. My Jet 1442 has a frayed belt, and it's time
for new.

Who's done it before, and what did you learn, and will you share?

I'm leaning toward a link belt, primarily so that I don't have to
disassemble the power head. That looks formidible. Anyone got
reasons not to?

What's the best source for 3/8" wide link belt? Any suggestions
about tuning and adjustments needed after the replacement?

What else should I know before I break out the wrenches?

Thanks in advance.

Old Guy
Who let a piece of Osage orange get the better of him today.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Depending on the age of your lathe and how much/how hard it was used the
bearings may need replacing as well. I put link belt on one of my older
lathes and do like it alot.