Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Help on changing my (lathe) belt.

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 17:31:52 -0700 (PDT), Old Guy wrote:

I have a link belt on my 1442VS... same lathe?
Works fine, smoother and quieter than the Jet belt..
I remember looking at the manual for belt replacement and deciding that I wasn't
going to disassemble that much of the lathe just to change a belt..
I think I used a 3/8" link width, not sure as it's been 4 or 5 years..

Ok, the time has come. My Jet 1442 has a frayed belt, and it's time
for new.

Who's done it before, and what did you learn, and will you share?

I'm leaning toward a link belt, primarily so that I don't have to
disassemble the power head. That looks formidible. Anyone got
reasons not to?

What's the best source for 3/8" wide link belt? Any suggestions
about tuning and adjustments needed after the replacement?

What else should I know before I break out the wrenches?

Thanks in advance.

Old Guy
Who let a piece of Osage orange get the better of him today.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing