Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TWW TWW is offline

Default buffing

I found a video on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oulH...eature=related
The video was on buffing. I found the buffing process interesting
enough to fork over some money and buy some buffs. Then the recent
winter storm hit and the weather turned cold before they arrived.
What I am wondering about is how to buff in cold weather (northern
Wisconsin in the US). From searching a little in this blog I find
posts saying tung oil needs to be about 70 degrees F to dry out. I
have an insulated but unheated garage to work in. Do many people just
skip the oil and buff the wood alone or is some sort of oil a
necessity? Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

TWW wrote:
I found a video on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oulH...eature=related
The video was on buffing. I found the buffing process interesting
enough to fork over some money and buy some buffs. Then the recent
winter storm hit and the weather turned cold before they arrived.
What I am wondering about is how to buff in cold weather (northern
Wisconsin in the US). From searching a little in this blog I find
posts saying tung oil needs to be about 70 degrees F to dry out. I
have an insulated but unheated garage to work in. Do many people just
skip the oil and buff the wood alone or is some sort of oil a
necessity? Thanks.

I'd just bring them in the house for a few days before buffing them.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have the beal system and I like it alot.

No oil required.

You may get more depth with oil, but it is certaily not required for a nice
finish.

Try it.

"TWW" wrote in message
I found a video on YouTube at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oulH...eature=related
The video was on buffing. I found the buffing process interesting
enough to fork over some money and buy some buffs. Then the recent
winter storm hit and the weather turned cold before they arrived.
What I am wondering about is how to buff in cold weather (northern
Wisconsin in the US). From searching a little in this blog I find
posts saying tung oil needs to be about 70 degrees F to dry out. I
have an insulated but unheated garage to work in. Do many people just
skip the oil and buff the wood alone or is some sort of oil a
necessity? Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:03:35 -0800 (PST), TWW wrote:

I found a video on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oulH...eature=related
The video was on buffing. I found the buffing process interesting
enough to fork over some money and buy some buffs. Then the recent
winter storm hit and the weather turned cold before they arrived.
What I am wondering about is how to buff in cold weather (northern
Wisconsin in the US). From searching a little in this blog I find
posts saying tung oil needs to be about 70 degrees F to dry out. I
have an insulated but unheated garage to work in. Do many people just
skip the oil and buff the wood alone or is some sort of oil a
necessity? Thanks.

I use the Beall wheels and buffs on all of my work, pens to large vases..

On softer woods, I find that a coat or 2 of Danish oil makes a very nice buffing
surface, but for hard or oily woods, no finish is needed... Sand and buff..

Tung oil takes forever to dry.. Danish oil has driers in it and when applied on
the lathe and rubbed in well, it should dry in a day or so in moderate
temperatures.. I have the most problems with it drying in the hot humid summer
here. in MX..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have had very little experience with pure tung oil but I routinely use
Homer Formby's tung oil finish (which is a mixture of tung oil with some
type of varnish and probably some drying agents. It normally dries hard
in 24 hours or less at normal room temp.

Bob
"mac davis" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TWW TWW is offline

Thanks to all who answered. I did a cherry bowl today at 27 degrees F
with no oil and was pleased with the results. When it warms up I will
try Danish or Formby's tung oil finish.

Again with the buffing Kevin Woodturning 7 October 13th 07 11:27 AM
Buffing Pad Fred Woodworking 5 December 19th 06 08:49 AM
Watco, BLO and buffing Rob McConachie Woodturning 3 September 5th 05 05:29 PM
buffing - what wax? brock b. Woodturning 6 March 10th 05 01:09 PM
Buffing? Darren Woodturning 4 October 6th 04 04:56 PM